starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: light headed on first press

Default light headed on first press

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey Rip,

I've been working around this issue for a while, but I'm concerned it may become dangerous as things get heavy.

Whenever I start a press work-set, as soon as my first rep locks out I get horribly dizzy and light headed. I have to seriously concentrate on not falling over. The delay in getting my bearings clearly has an effect on my ability to complete a max set because I'm holding the fucking bar over my head when I should be continuing reps.

What could I be doing to cause myself to get light headed on the first rep? I NEVER have a problem with any other rep, even a long slow grindy 5th rep that leaves me purple in the face will not cause me to get dizzy like a reasonbly "easy" first rep.

Ever seen this before?

Thanks,
    Matt

We all have it happen occasionally. It usually involves some pressure on the throat that doesn't need to be there, from bar position or grip. You'll just have to adjust things until it goes away.

This happens to me if I don't control my breathing. I have to take a few deep controlled breathes before my first rep after taking the bar out of the rack.

Happens to me if I breathe too deeply and quickly before unracking the press. Pretty sure this is normal.

I will try Hat's breathing method. I usually take a few deep breaths to gas up, then unrack, step back and immediately press... then hover there hoping I don't keel over while I take a sip of air, then continue with my set.

I certainly don't have the bar on my throat and it really isn't "occasionally" - it is about 9/10 times.

This happens to me fairly often on the first rep. On occasion its so severe I lose vision. I believe slowly exhaling during the rep has helped me some.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    I will try Hat's breathing method. I usually take a few deep breaths to gas up, then unrack, step back and immediately press... then hover there hoping I don't keel over while I take a sip of air, then continue with my set.

I certainly don't have the bar on my throat and it really isn't "occasionally" - it is about 9/10 times.

You should see an immediate improvement.

-Hat

manisstrong Guest

This only happens to me if I try to use some hip drive (not knee drive) to get the first press up. If I do a really strict press, it doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    I will try Hat's breathing method. I usually take a few deep breaths to gas up, then unrack, step back and immediately press...
    This is your problem. I guarantee it.

starting strength coach development program
    has happened to me. it was down to incorrect breathing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast