starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weak ass 65kg bench form check

Default Weak ass 65kg bench form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Widened my grip and reset the weight, failed rep 5 set 5. Critique? Should I just repeat this weight and hope I get the fifth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K5JO_poYXs

What program are you running that you are doing 5 sets of 5 as a novice? I would try that weight again because you didn't seem to be struggling too much with the 4th rep. Your grip may be a bit wide.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    What program are you running that you are doing 5 sets of 5 as a novice? I would try that weight again because you didn't seem to be struggling too much with the 4th rep. Your grip may be a bit wide.
    Let me be a little more direct with that. If you were only doing 3 sets of 5, you'd be increasing your weight the next session. I think you are just too tired at the end of the 5th set. Might I suggest a program called "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe?

Let me be a little more direct with that. If you were only doing 3 sets of 5, you'd be increasing your weight the next session. I think you are just too tired at the end of the 5th set. Might I suggest a program called "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe?
    Typo, I'm doing three sets of five. This was the end of the third set. I would not be able for five sets of five. I posted a formcheck video on here and was advised to widen my grip to facilitate vertical forearms at the bottom. I'll post a better angle to this thread next time I bench.

Definitely try this weight again the next time. You'll make it. Are you left handed? Looks like your left arm is having an easier time of it. On those last two reps, your left side is coming up higher and that's going to make your right side bear even more weight. You might have gotten that last rep if you didn't get off balance.

Definitely try this weight again the next time. You'll make it. Are you left handed? Looks like your left arm is having an easier time of it. On those last two reps, your left side is coming up higher and that's going to make your right side bear even more weight. You might have gotten that last rep if you didn't get off balance.

Nope, right handed.

Your legs are flopping around in ways that tell me there's no tension in them. You should be driving into the floor with them to support your bench. And, yes, it looks pretty wide for SS.

Tighten up and redo this weight. You'll nail it this time out. My naked eye tells me that your grip is too wide, but from this angle it looks like your forearms are close to vertical at the bottom. A front view would be needed to verify this, since oblique angles can obscure this perception.

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    Tighten up and redo this weight. You'll nail it this time out. My naked eye tells me that your grip is too wide, but from this angle it looks like your forearms are close to vertical at the bottom. A front view would be needed to verify this, since oblique angles can obscure this perception.
    I'll post a video of me benching tomorrow, I think I may have longish arms but I'll get a proper angle of it.

starting strength coach development program
    Got some angles with a grip that's been narrowed by two finger widths. Looks like arms aren't vertical at the bottom?

Rear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muyl8coHLoQ
    45: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utx8VoSWecA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast