starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: deadlift form check, is my back straight enough?

Default deadlift form check, is my back straight enough?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czlokWyjGg4 last 2 of 5 reps, did a double then a single then this double.

Is my back straight enough? It is straighter looking in this vid than it felt when doing the lift. This is not the usual camera angle because all I was interested in seeing was my back.

Not an expert but that looks mighty fine to me.

You're obviously a big, strong guy, but you're making life harder on yourself by not getting that slack out of the bar before the pull. Can you see on your first rep how the top portion of your body (notably your shoulder) drops slightly as the weight comes off the ground, and the bar clinks before the weight breaks the floor?

That hitch you're experiencing at the start of the lift is like revving the crap out of your engine and then slamming the car into 5th gear without changing through the others first. You get tighter by pulling up on the bar (without it leaving the ground), and it also removes that sudden shock of load your muscles are experiencing. The gap between the top of the sleeve and the inside of the weight is small, but it makes a huge difference when you remove it.

Got a little forward on you. Drag the damn thing up those tree trunks of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal_k View Post
    Not an expert but that looks mighty fine to me.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by almost View Post
    You're obviously a big, strong guy, but you're making life harder on yourself by not getting that slack out of the bar before the pull. Can you see on your first rep how the top portion of your body (notably your shoulder) drops slightly as the weight comes off the ground, and the bar clinks before the weight breaks the floor?

That hitch you're experiencing at the start of the lift is like revving the crap out of your engine and then slamming the car into 5th gear without changing through the others first. You get tighter by pulling up on the bar (without it leaving the ground), and it also removes that sudden shock of load your muscles are experiencing. The gap between the top of the sleeve and the inside of the weight is small, but it makes a huge difference when you remove it.
    Interesting. I'll try that. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Got a little forward on you. Drag the damn thing up those tree trunks of yours.
    I try that but sometimes it gets away. I wonder if my torso is too long for my legs n arms adding up to just very low deadlifting talent -- my deadlift has not improved much over the last 18 months.

I think you should set up more concentrated: foot->hands->knees->upper back(hips up)->pull. You push the bar away shortly before you begin to pull and the bar is not vertical. I guess coaches would tell you something like read the "pulls from the floor" sticky.. maybe you should think about using you lats to "row" the bar into your legs.

Thanks all, I took your suggestions and seem to be making some progress - 1@400

starting strength coach development program
    video is set to private

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast