starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jonathon Sullivan: Modifying the program for GEEZERS

Default Jonathon Sullivan: Modifying the program for GEEZERS

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025

this is seriously good stuff. The modifications are a really intelligent approach. You guys are at the forefront of something special here.

Fabulous article Doc. Thank you.

As Rip knows, I developed squat handles for my own shoulder problems. I have thoracic outlet syndrome (thank you Rip) that make reaching back to the bar pretty impossible (sorry Rip--tried it again and no go, my arm goes numb for days). I still use them.

They are in Beta testing and not being released to the public.

There has to be a better way to help people with shoulder problems. If you can think of anything I can make it. Like really. If you can think of it I can make it. Just ask the snakes in Texas.

A solid and engaging article. Inspiring work.

I enjoyed reading this.

In a trial (I'm a lawyer) the experience and opinions of Dr. Sullivan would (probably) be admissible as expert testimony, which the jury would be free to give as much weight as they thought his opinions merited.

In the sciences, what kind of evidence does Sullivan's experience amount to? I understand this gentleman's experience under Sully is just n=1 anecdotal data, but at what point does Dr. Sullivan's experiences with older clients begin to approach scientifically credible data? How can he convert his experiences as a barbell coach/trainer to the aged into medically persuasive/scientifically compelling evidence?

The courts have judges, which ultimately make the testimony and opinions of experts (after being digested and approved by a jury) THE LAW. Through what scientific/medical filter must Dr. Sullivan's opinions/knowledge and experience pass before it, too, can become the scientifc/medical equivalent of THE LAW?

Great scalability. Gives me encouragement as I continue to age.

"As I am merely a coach, physiologist, and physician, I am proscribed by Michigan law from giving my clients individual nutrition advice."

What the hell?

Doc Sully,
    I understand the substitution of the SS style curl for the Press given the subject's shoulder issues. But could you explain why that is a better route than partial range of motion presses with the goal of full range in the long term? IOW, is there some medical condition in this person that will never allow them to have full ROM for the press?
    Thanks doc, very educational.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by Cinic View Post
    "As I am merely a coach, physiologist, and physician, I am proscribed by Michigan law from giving my clients individual nutrition advice."

What the hell?
    The wonders of dietetics licensure. Sully has learned well from Brodie Wan-Kenobi. Cover his ass, he does.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by k_dean_curtis View Post
    IOW, is there some medical condition in this person that will never allow them to have full ROM for the press?
    Thanks doc, very educational.
    He's ninety. The shoulder mobility he still has is a miracle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast