starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi guys,

I've started having some backache as of yesterday. That wasn't after this squat session I'm showing here but the session after. However I'm guessing the form was similar, the only difference is my last session was 5 pounds heavier. I'd be grateful if you could advise.

I also want to mention my knees come in a bit when squatting. They go from pointing outwards to parallel, so dont know if that's an issue, since they dont come in more than that.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYa_aVdLBRQ

I can't see your feet and legs so can really make any statement about them. Your depth seems ok. The weight seems pretty light for you.

You are doing high-bar squats - is that your intention? Pretty nice ones BTW - although avoid knees coming in with any style of squat - they get out, they stay out.

If you want to do low-bar squats you will need to place the bar further down your back, supported by your lower traps & rear delts. I suggest you read the bar setup sections of SS, and watch the bar setup vid in resources : http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...t_bar_position.

And yes ... you're not exactly struggling with that weight.
    Last edited by Toasterleavings; 05-03-2015 at 07:38 PM.

Are you squatting I'm socks?

Thanks a lot guys. If there's no glaring problems I dont know why the hell my back keeps getting aggravated. Perhaps there's no way around it?

No I didnt mean to do high-bar. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

I'm still in the first 6 weeks of SS (done it before but 6 months off) so I started at empty bar and moved up, 10 pounds the first couple weeks, now doing 5. I thought I am struggling! I didnt realize one should struggle more. But either way glad I didnt load on more since this messed my back and I really cant afford to fuck around with it.

You did that set in less than 4 seconds/rep. I doubt that's enough time to reset properly at the top of each rep. It may feel like you can get away with that now because the weight is light, but you are missing out on the training effect that your trunk stabilizing muscles should be receiving. I'd wager this is what is contributing to the back pain. Even though your form looks safe, you haven't yet developed enough abdominal and spinal erector strength to protect your lumbar spine from movement under load. You need to master the valsalva. Take a big breath at the top and clamp down hard on it with your abs throughout the entire movement. Make the descent slow and controlled. Squat like the load is heavier than it is, because it will be soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ned View Post
    You did that set in less than 4 seconds/rep. I doubt that's enough time to reset properly at the top of each rep. It may feel like you can get away with that now because the weight is light, but you are missing out on the training effect that your trunk stabilizing muscles should be receiving. I'd wager this is what is contributing to the back pain. Even though your form looks safe, you haven't yet developed enough abdominal and spinal erector strength to protect your lumbar spine from movement under load. You need to master the valsalva. Take a big breath at the top and clamp down hard on it with your abs throughout the entire movement. Make the descent slow and controlled. Squat like the load is heavier than it is, because it will be soon enough.
    oh, interesting. thanks a lot. so breathe in at top, hold at bottom, breathe out once at the top, then breathe in again? ie dont even start exhaling until all the way up?

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
    oh, interesting. thanks a lot. so breathe in at top, hold at bottom, breathe out once at the top, then breathe in again? ie dont even start exhaling until all the way up?
    Yes. Big breath. Hold it for the entire rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Toasterleavings View Post
    You are doing high-bar squats
    To me it looks like his actual mechanics are in line with low-bar. Chest bending forward, sitting back into it, etc. But I agree that the bar placement should be lower

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by joftius View Post
    To me it looks like his actual mechanics are in line with low-bar. Chest bending forward, sitting back into it, etc. But I agree that the bar placement should be lower
    That head-up, chest-up, knee travel style with a high bar looks high-bar to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast