starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dear Coaches and Mark -- Can we use THIS grip in your opionion -- for Low Bar Squats?

Default Dear Coaches and Mark -- Can we use THIS grip in your opionion -- for Low Bar Squats?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Dear Mark.
    Watching your videos after reading the book i mistakingly came to the conclusion that you guys do not really grab the bar, but just tighten the fist and place it onto the bar.

So i incorporated this and ACTUALLY i discovered how i was able to LIFT BETTER my squats. My shoulder never ever gave me a call again (it used to hurt a bit from time to time), and surprisingly i was feeling very safe and strong with my maxes.

Now of course it works because it essentially does what the grip IS supposed to do -- ONLY support the bar from top making in firm on the back, but using the elbows, traps and rear delts to actually hold the bar from bottom/behind.

So i will place a picture here and please let us discuss the implications and possible disadvantages of this grip.

ALL of my clients squat like that currently with no issues. As a matter of fact trying to switch to the thumb-less grip by gripping the bar - some female clients prefer my "accidentally" discovered variation.

ME otoh i notice that i slip into that mode when the weight gets heavy (meaning i don't actually hold the bar very much with fingers, but rather just support it on top with my palm, and the palm being tight most importantly).

HERE are the pics:

(yes i know the boy on the last pic flexes the wrist a bit it is a mistake, yes)

Basicly the instruction behind this grip is: Clenching the FIST first (with no bar) and placing it in a way that the wrist is straght and the bar is in the lower palm (Just below the fingers). The rest of the setup is business as usual.

Thoughts? Will it be effective? Is it essentially "the same"? Is it ineffective? Why?

THANK YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitizaro View Post
    Dear Mark.
    Watching your videos after reading the book i mistakingly came to the conclusion that you guys do not really grab the bar, but just tighten the fist and place it onto the bar.

So i incorporated this and ACTUALLY i discovered how i was able to LIFT BETTER my squats. My shoulder never ever gave me a call again (it used to hurt a bit from time to time), and surprisingly i was feeling very safe and strong with my maxes.

Now of course it works because it essentially does what the grip IS supposed to do -- ONLY support the bar from top making in firm on the back, but using the elbows, traps and rear delts to actually hold the bar from bottom/behind.

So i will place a picture here and please let us discuss the implications and possible disadvantages of this grip.

ALL of my clients squat like that currently with no issues. As a matter of fact trying to switch to the thumb-less grip by gripping the bar - some female clients prefer my "accidentally" discovered variation.

ME otoh i notice that i slip into that mode when the weight gets heavy (meaning i don't actually hold the bar very much with fingers, but rather just support it on top with my palm, and the palm being tight most importantly).

HERE are the pics:

(yes i know the boy on the last pic flexes the wrist a bit it is a mistake, yes)

Basicly the instruction behind this grip is: Clenching the FIST first (with no bar) and placing it in a way that the wrist is straght and the bar is in the lower palm (Just below the fingers). The rest of the setup is business as usual.

Thoughts? Will it be effective? Is it essentially "the same"? Is it ineffective? Why?

THANK YOU!
    USAPL rules require that you grip with the thumb in contact with the bar.

Your hands including the thumbs are on top of the bar. That is quite correct. I don't know that you need to keep you fists clenched but I don't think it will hurt anything. There are others here who know more than I. So, wait for their comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Well we are not really interested in Powerlifting competing... but this is a good note to take if at some point we prepare someone for a PL Meet!!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    This. IPF affiliates this is a requirement. I believe not having all fingers on the bar someone got pulled up for in the past.

But what is the reason for gripping essentially with your wrist? If it's solid looks good. I'm just thinking of the skin on palm is a lot more resistant to abrasion which i could see being a possible issue with wrist gripping.
    Do you have name for this grip yet? Wrist-grip? Fist-grip?

It's not wrist. It's just where i would end up holding the bar anyway with a THUMBLESS grip. Just at the base of the palm. However this time the fingers are sqeezing my own hand, not the bar. However i NEVER get a normal pronated grip because it is too much of an internal rotation IMO, so these two scenarios are VERY similar.

I posted in order to investigate any possible down-sides (if any) with people smarter and more experienced than me (that is you, guys).

No more replies?? :O

I don't know what else you're asking for.

You didn't invent this... plenty of people do it successfully. If people are able to hold the bar with their fingers wrapped around it, then they should. If they can't, then this is a valid alternative as long as it keeps the bar pinned to the back securely and doesn't cause the load to be held by the arms. The downside is that it's less stable. Most people will develop the flexibility required to move the bar higher in the hand over time.

Since i'm working with clients (i.e. other people than my own ass) i was hoping to hear more opinions IF this is unsecure/less stable.

Cuz its like telling a person "you can get a more stable car tires, and more unstable ones. Which one you prefer?" -- The best option is what i'm looking for.

But maybe there isn't really a difference?

It's not like i can't just squat like that on my own. I want to know IF the gripping method HAS any advantages (besides elevated PSYCHOLOGICAL security and control) so that i correct my teachings from now on!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitizaro View Post
    Since i'm working with clients (i.e. other people than my own ass) i was hoping to hear more opinions IF this is unsecure/less stable.

Cuz its like telling a person "you can get a more stable car tires, and more unstable ones. Which one you prefer?" -- The best option is what i'm looking for.

But maybe there isn't really a difference?

It's not like i can't just squat like that on my own. I want to know IF the gripping method HAS any advantages (besides elevated PSYCHOLOGICAL security and control) so that i correct my teachings from now on!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    I don't know what else you're asking for.

You didn't invent this... plenty of people do it successfully. If people are able to hold the bar with their fingers wrapped around it, then they should. If they can't, then this is a valid alternative as long as it keeps the bar pinned to the back securely and doesn't cause the load to be held by the arms. The downside is that it's less stable. Most people will develop the flexibility required to move the bar higher in the hand over time.
    See above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast