starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Masters (Over 55) Rank Novice Training - No Bench

Default Masters (Over 55) Rank Novice Training - No Bench

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Mr. Rippetoe,

I am a rank novice, almost 60 years old, and want to train using your methods outlined in your books. Two programs - A and B, three times a week, squat and deadlift in both programs, bench and press in one program. Except I do not have a bench at home. I have the equipment so I can safely do squat, deadlift, and overhead press, (and chins to add later in the program) but not bench press. I abhor going to the local gyms where I have to compete with strutting young people who don't appear to me to be training at all. What they do is their business, but I can't stand the atmosphere in these gyms. Anyway, back to my question for you. Would it be OK if I do the press three times a week? I have fractional plates so the press can increase by as little as .5 LB. I searched your forum and found an old thread, 2008, where you advised a person with the same question that it would be OK to press three times a week but recommended fractional plates for smaller increases. Just checking, almost 10 years later, that your thinking is still along those lines.

Thank you.

Fine with me, Vinnie. If you want to omit a major component of upper-body training, go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Fine with me, Vinnie. If you want to omit a major component of upper-body training, go ahead.
    Hi, Mark. I can see an importance in daily life for squats, DL and OP, but for which purpose is it good to have a strong bench press, targeting chest?

It's good to have a strong upper body. You disagree?

Hear you loud and clear Mr. Rippetoe. I will either suck it up and deal with the public gyms or see what I can do to purchase a bench (money is tight but the holidays are coming). Either way, I will incorporate the bench press.

Thank you.

OP could floor press.

Why on Earth would you invest in a rack, bar, and plates and then not buy a bench? They're not very expensive.

If you ran out of money, just press until you have saved up enough to buy a bench.

It's good to have a strong upper body. You disagree?
    Who said? But if you have no space to do bench press, you could do the OP and add pushups(better with a weight on your back). Not a 100% substitute, but better than nothing.

Craigslist is full of benches $30 to $50. I'm sure if you search you can find something functional to get you started.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceC View Post
    I will either suck it up and deal with the public gyms or see what I can do to purchase a bench...
    Dips will make a pretty good substitute for benching in the mean time. Outstanding exercise, and all you need is a pair of chairs.

How many gyms are there in your area? Shop around, and you may find one with a group of supportive young people who are also running starting strength.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast