starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: losing abdominal "tightness" during squats

Default losing abdominal "tightness" during squats

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I am doing SS by the book and at this point I can clearly feel that after my first set of squats I am no longer able to contract my belly to get that "tightness".

Does Mark Rippetoe suggest a specific exercise to help with this situation? (I own the 2nd ed of the book and couldn't find any discussion of this other than a reference to Roman chair situps, which later in his article on "abs" he suggests might not be an ideal choice.)

Just to clarify: this is not a "I want to get my six-pack" kind of question. My goal is to feel "tighter" during the squats and thus lift more weight; and it is my impression that this lack of tightness is coming from abdominal weakness. (I can easily keep the arch in my back throughout the movement.)

And: as hinted above, I have read Mark's article on "abs". I just suspect that my inability to hold them in isometric contraction is holding my squats back.

You just suck in more air for your valsalva and then promptly stop worrying about your abs. Do you squat with a belt?

Maybe focusing on one breath for the entire set, may help him. Helped me. I do it with all warmup and worksets.

If your lower back is properly arched and you have a good, hard valsalva, your abs should be fine.

If you want to include assistance ab exercises anyways (it won't hurt - i do them, and since I started I've noticed my abs are definately "tighter" while squatting), I personally recommend hanging leg raises. You get better at them quickly, they help your grip strength, and if done strictly they are both isometric and eccentric/concentric.

I had a hell of a time with this, too. Getting a belt made a huge difference as it really does provide the feedback for you to push your abs against. I've found that I can now very easily replicate the process without the belt, also. Additional ab work might help, but just working on the nerve control may well be enough. If you don't have a belt, consider getting one. If you don't want to get one or can't afford one yet, try practising that hard ab contraction against a full set of lungs. I don't think this is a good idea for actually squatting, but in the privacy of your own home, put a regular pants belt or a couple of circuits of rope around your abs and practice tightening your trunk against that feedback.

edit: You'll know you're doing it right when your head turns red.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    You just suck in more air for your valsalva and then promptly stop worrying about your abs. Do you squat with a belt?
    I don't use a belt. Just sucking in more air doesn't make a difference: I always take a big breath and the stability I get that way isn't the same as when (during the first set) I can fully contract my belly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cambero View Post
    Maybe focusing on one breath for the entire set, may help him. Helped me. I do it with all warmup and worksets.

Each single squat is a battle for me. I will give this a try, but I suspect I will probably faint as a result...

Quote Originally Posted by skipbeat View Post
    If your lower back is properly arched and you have a good, hard valsalva, your abs should be fine.
    As I mentioned the trouble is that my Valsalva is only "good, hard" during the first set; then I just have a belly full of air and a contracted lower back, which are great help in keeping the torso in the right position but don't feel nearly as stable.

I will try the hanging leg raises, thanks! How do you do them? Sets across to failure?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jillingworth View Post
    I had a hell of a time with this, too. Getting a belt made a huge difference as it really does provide the feedback for you to push your abs against. I've found that I can now very easily replicate the process without the belt, also. Additional ab work might help, but just working on the nerve control may well be enough. If you don't have a belt, consider getting one. If you don't want to get one or can't afford one yet, try practising that hard ab contraction against a full set of lungs. I don't think this is a good idea for actually squatting, but in the privacy of your own home, put a regular pants belt or a couple of circuits of rope around your abs and practice tightening your trunk against that feedback.
    Thank you, I will definitely try this. I don't have a belt and wasn't thinking of getting one, so I will try this alternative method you mentioned. It sounds like you know exactly the problem I am talking about.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast