• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    26, Male, 6'0"
    225 lbs, ~19% BF
    Squat: 370x5x3
    Bench: 275x5x5
    Deadlift: 415x5

Press: 185x 5, 5, 4

I think I might be pushing some of the reps of my press. Set 3 especially.

I compress a bit and get a bounce. I don't do this on purpose, it just happens. Is it possible that my hips are coming forward as I receive the bar coming down and that's what's responsible for the bounce? How do I fix my knees if it's not? Should I deload my press?

Thank you for your time and any input
    Last edited by Shaneomac; 05-02-2015 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Typo, receive the bar

Commenting on the 1st set

Rep 1 looks like a push press. The rest of the set is hard to tell because of the pants, and because the leg is partially covered by the pants. You may want to film when you have tighter pants and to show the legs in full down to the shoes.

Okay thanks. If these videos make it tough to see I might shoot again or stop leaning back altogether.

I'm worried that if I lock my knees out completely I might black out or something; I've gotten really close before. Haven't tried it yet while pressing so I guess I will next press day.

First off im no expert. Secondly im no form facist.

If i had seen on you at the gym i would not have thought that dude is push pressing or needs to fix his form.

But when i really look at the video the first rep looks alittle knee bent. And if you know you are not locking the knees work on that.

In my opinion, I think you are leaning back/arch way too much.
    I'm no press expert, esp. "press 2.0" . . . but from what I gather, the back is supposed to be be somewhat straight, and you're pivot/hinge slightly from the hips.

It seems you are getting your head outta the way by arching your back quite a bit.
    I think you might be headed for a back injury.

I would post in the SSC section to get better advice, rather than the casual SS posters. . . .

here's avideo of Michael Wolf SSC doing a press w/ 190#: www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtFgjqcBfxQ

Also, are you standing one foot slightly in front of the other? (your left foot forward a bit).
    Last edited by MBasic; 05-06-2015 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    I'm no press expert, esp. "press 2.0" . . . but from what I gather, the back is supposed to be be somewhat straight, and you're pivot/hinge slightly from the hips.

It seems you are getting your head outta the way by arching your back quite a bit.

I would post in the SSC section to get better advice, rather than the casual SS posters. . . .

here's avideo of Michael Wolf SSC doing a press w/ 190#: www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtFgjqcBfxQ

Also, are you standing one foot slightly in front of the other? (your left foot forward a bit).
    I disagree with this i dont think you have to much layback or is in any extra danger of injury.
    Last edited by Tennisgolfboll; 05-06-2015 at 09:29 AM.

...as I said, maybe get a SSC to comment.
    To me, it looks too "arch-ey"...its seems like once it clears his for head...he's stays back too long instead of try to straighten out.
    ...I understand these are heavy/hard reps.
    But all that shakey&wobbly stuff + excessive arch / lay back does seem to be a good combo.

As far as the push press thing...can't really see his lower legs....doesn't LOOK like he's starting off like a push press from what I see.

Yeah he can get a form check in the coaches forum i just meant the press isnt dangerous at all imo

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post

You may have been implying this...Isn't this Press 1.0. He's starting from the top with a deep breath. 2.0 starts from the bottom with a deep breath.

starting strength coach development program
    I would suggest angling your gaze downwards more, especially right before you begin to lower the bar. Fix that and the layback issue will probably clear up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast