starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weight and height

Default weight and height

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey
    Is it easier for a skinny 6'5'' 190 lbs guy to perform a bodyweight exercise (like chins or dips) than it is for a fat 5' 190 lbs guy ? assuming their strength is the same and without taking into account their anthropometry (even though it is obvious that the tall guy will have longer limbs that increase the range of motion thus making the exercise harder).

The shorter guy has shorter ROM, but if he's fatter he has less muscle. So who knows. I lost weight and now I'm better at bodyweight exercises, go figure.

If you don't mind me asking, why the question? Just a random though you had, or are you trying to determine something?

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    The shorter guy has shorter ROM, but if he's fatter he has less muscle. So who knows. I lost weight and now I'm better at bodyweight exercises, go figure.
    Don't forget about efficiency. Weighing less, regardless of body comp, means it takes less effort to move yourself.

If they are both equally strong, then anthropometry is the only thing you have left.

Quote Originally Posted by the dio View Post
    Don't forget about efficiency. Weighing less, regardless of body comp, means it takes less effort to move yourself.
    Weighing less means it takes less force to move yourself, but weighing more can mean you have more capability to generate force. I'm better at bodyweight exercises at 180 than I was at 200, but I'm also way better than I was at 150.

That guy is short and has other problems that are related to chin ups - reaching the bar.

I know of a guy who is 7 inches taller than me and 12 lbs lighter , and he can do 3 more push ups than me and chins seem easier to him. I can beat him at arm wrestling pretty easily though (his forerarm is only like half an inch longer than mine).
    I thought that his very low bodyfat% could help him somehow.

That is because he is stronger.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    Weighing less means it takes less force to move yourself, but weighing more can mean you have more capability to generate force. I'm better at bodyweight exercises at 180 than I was at 200, but I'm also way better than I was at 150.
    How tall are you LV? I'm thinking about dropping about 7 more lbs for the summer hiking season. That would put me down around 180 at 5' 11".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast