Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My lifts for review - form check

Default My lifts for review - form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello everyone,
    novice "lifter" here.
    Training on LP - 5x5. 83 kg body weight.
    I would like some advice from more experienced lifters/coaches.

Any suggestions/tips are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    ---

Squat - 200lb

https://goo.gl/photos/HAZ8fFGDCTxs3uZE8

I think that my lower back is still doing to much.
    I try to engage posterior chain as hard as I can while keeping my lower back flat

Deadlift - 245lb

https://goo.gl/photos/PhdPN9GQk7mXZBCP8

Some bar path issues here I think
    Same as squat. I cannot feel glutes/hamstring as I should
    More "chestUp" I guess

Edit: Uploaded trimmed videos.
    Last edited by beton; 08-18-2016 at 02:58 PM.

Squats:
    The angle is difficult for analyzing form (stance, bar position, etc.). You are hitting depth. You could lean over earlier/faster. Your torso looks a bit too upright in the bottom position (so knees back a bit, lean over more). The main issue I see is that you're standing around with the weight for a very long time... that is exhausting your energy reserves.

Deadlifts:
    You are allowing your hips to drop as you squeeze into position. Don't do that. During your squeeze be sure to also activate your lats (try to bend the bar around your legs the entire time + keep a straight back). On the descent, you are bending your knees too early so the bar has to go around them (thus putting the bar out of position for the next rep). Let the bar get past the knees, then bend the knees.

Squats: Your not loading and lifting with your hips (no hip drive). On many reps your knees push forward at the bottom (knee slide), which is causing your balance to move slightly forward of midfoot (watch the bar path at the beginning of your ascent and see how it moves forward). So, set your knees about 1/2 to 1/3 of the way down, then lean over (point chest to floor), and reach back with your hips. On the ascent, drive your hips straight up towards the ceiling for as long as they will go in that direction. Try and get a video from a rear 45 degree angle (and edit out the first 30 seconds of you not lifting).

DL: On the first 3 reps, in order to get your back tight in extension, you are dropping your hips. Instead, squeeze your chest up between your shoulders without dropping your hips. On the last 2 reps I'm not sure you ever got your back properly set. Read this for proper set up: Deadlift starting Position Critique

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    Squats:
    The angle is difficult for analyzing form (stance, bar position, etc.). You are hitting depth. You could lean over earlier/faster. Your torso looks a bit too upright in the bottom position (so knees back a bit, lean over more). The main issue I see is that you're standing around with the weight for a very long time... that is exhausting your energy reserves.
    Will try to lean more. "Point the nipples on the floor" more I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    Squats:
    Deadlifts:
    You are allowing your hips to drop as you squeeze into position. Don't do that. During your squeeze be sure to also activate your lats (try to bend the bar around your legs the entire time + keep a straight back). On the descent, you are bending your knees too early so the bar has to go around them (thus putting the bar out of position for the next rep). Let the bar get past the knees, then bend the knees.
    Thanks. Will try to keep my hips higher while squeezing the lats.
    I will work on the descent as well (RDL's maybe)

Thanks Greg for your input! Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDave View Post
    Squats: Your not loading and lifting with your hips (no hip drive). On many reps your knees push forward at the bottom (knee slide), which is causing your balance to move slightly forward of midfoot (watch the bar path at the beginning of your ascent and see how it moves forward). So, set your knees about 1/2 to 1/3 of the way down, then lean over (point chest to floor), and reach back with your hips. On the ascent, drive your hips straight up towards the ceiling for as long as they will go in that direction. Try and get a video from a rear 45 degree angle (and edit out the first 30 seconds of you not lifting).

DL: On the first 3 reps, in order to get your back tight in extension, you are dropping your hips. Instead, squeeze your chest up between your shoulders without dropping your hips. On the last 2 reps I'm not sure you ever got your back properly set. Read this for proper set up: Deadlift starting Position Critique
    Thanks Dave.
    Will check.

Re the DL descent. You are bending your knees almost immediately on the descent, instead of waiting until your hips are moved back. The down is just the opposite of the up. So, while keeping your back tight, shove your hips back until the bar is at your knees, then you can bend your knees to complete the lowering of the bar to the floor (took me about 3 months to learn to do this correctly).

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDave View Post
    Re the DL descent. You are bending your knees almost immediately on the descent, instead of waiting until your hips are moved back. The down is just the opposite of the up. So, while keeping your back tight, shove your hips back until the bar is at your knees, then you can bend your knees to complete the lowering of the bar to the floor (took me about 3 months to learn to do this correctly).
    Great!
    Thanks again.

Hey there.
    This time i tried to lock the knees in the position on the way down to avoid knee slide at the bottom and shoot the hips up from the bottom (as suggested here).
    I think I got the point because it felt a lot more powerful and I really felt my glutes/hips doing the work!

Squat - 200lb

https://goo.gl/photos/2q6yfGzfYCBSFG748

The only little problem I got a small elbow pain (inside my left elbow) - could not do all my bench press work unfortunately.

Please check Bench Press as well if you have a minute.

Bench press - 182lb

https://goo.gl/photos/fN4N6kQEEM7bnUWX8

Thanks in advance for watching it.
    Last edited by beton; 08-20-2016 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beton View Post
    https://goo.gl/photos/2q6yfGzfYCBSFG748

The only little problem I got a small elbow pain (inside my left elbow) - could not do all my bench press work unfortunately.
    You may be getting elbow pain because you're carrying your elbows quite high in the squat.

I suggest reading this:
    The Elbow Problem | Jordan Feigenbaum

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bean counter View Post
    You may be getting elbow pain because you're carrying your elbows quite high in the squat.

I suggest reading this:
    The Elbow Problem | Jordan Feigenbaum
    Maybe, and we can't see this because of the poor angle of the video, but you may be excessively flexing your wrists, i.e., craning your hands too much over the top of the bar. I see your elbows cranked up a bit, which may be contributing to this. You should try for more chest and less elbows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast