starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on rounded v. tapered tongue?

Default Any thoughts on rounded v. tapered tongue?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Looking at the GL Pioneer 4" 6.5mm treated belt. Any preference on the tongue? Also, what about stitching? It looks like the stitching is purely cosmetic on this belt. Am I wrong about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    Looking at the GL Pioneer 4" 6.5mm treated belt. Any preference on the tongue? Also, what about stitching? It looks like the stitching is purely cosmetic on this belt. Am I wrong about that?
    Yeah, the stitching keeps the suede from peeling off. Glue's only so strong. Taper is the usual choice, probably gives you more to grab to crank the thing down, but I always thought the rounded looked kinda cool. If you can get it on tight enough, the shape of the tongue couldn't be less relevant to the actual performance of the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Yeah, the stitching keeps the suede from peeling off. Glue's only so strong. Taper is the usual choice, probably gives you more to grab to crank the thing down, but I always thought the rounded looked kinda cool. If you can get it on tight enough, the shape of the tongue couldn't be less relevant to the actual performance of the belt.
    Thank you. For some reason I thought this version did not have suede. Perhaps they all do?

Thank you. For some reason I thought this version did not have suede. Perhaps they all do?
    oh, if there's no suede, and it's a single piece of leather, then yeah, any stitching is probably just ornamental.

Thanks, I'll double check.

whats the difference between treated and untreated? longevity? looks?

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Unless it says suede, the stitching will be cosmetic. And since it sounds like you are getting the treated version of the belt I have, you don't need it. Also, the untreated is super awesome, IMO.
    Interesting. Why is the untreated super awesome? I figured it would be stiffer, maybe less comfortable. Do tell!

I just think it looks cool. Its a raw hunk of leather. I only have regular pant belts and the EFS Econo lifting belt from my pictures to compare it to, but it is softer and more flexible than the few leather pants belts I have. Treating it probably protects it from sweat/rain/etc a little better, but I suspect the untreated will last longer than me anyways.
    Cool. Thanks. For some reason I thought the treatment was in order to soften it up, or break it in. I may be wrong about that. But you do save a few bucks going untreated.

I say spend the few extra bucks, then throw up a review and pictures. For all of us!
    x2

starting strength coach development program
    Cool. Thanks. For some reason I thought the treatment was in order to soften it up, or break it in. I may be wrong about that. But you do save a few bucks going untreated.
    This is it, you got it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast