starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever felt...

Default Have you ever felt...

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    ...a tingling sensation in the area of your ischial tuberosity while deadlifting?

I felt it on the 3rd rep a few weeks ago on my work set, and immediately stopped. My first thought was something was tearing. However, it was not painful then and there is no lingering pain, or soreness, or anything. It has always, thus far, only occurred on the right side. It was kind of, I dunno, an "electrical" tingling, or prickling feeling.

Since that time, I've experienced the feeling again a couple times. I can discern no pattern yet other than it seems to be around the 3rd or 4th rep on my work sets which are straining me pretty good now.

So as not to be a wuss, I've not allowed it to stop, or change, any of my lifting.

I feel like my tired-ass body is trying to tell me something.

Thanks for reading.

"ischial tuberosity" ?

I have not but I had to stop lifting due do my shoulder getting more and more painful. I'm hoping that I haven't torn something with my dead lifts. I would keep paying attention to it so if you are damaging something you can stop early in the process. Any idea if you have any arthritis in that joint?

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    "ischial tuberosity" ?

ok, found Ischium in your picture, still not sure what that means exactly ...

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    ok, found Ischium in your picture, still not sure what that means exactly ...
    It's just the fatter ridge of the ischium, where some of the hip muscles attach. A pain at the ischium means we have to at least think about potential tendon involvement, since muscles are attached to bones by tendons.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    It's just the fatter ridge of the ischium, where some of the hip muscles attach. A pain at the ischium means we have to at least think about potential tendon involvement, since muscles are attached to bones by tendons.
    Tingling sounds like nerve though, and since the sciatic nerve passes right by there, and the glutes, hamstrings, and piriformis are all tight during the deadlift, there's a chance it could be getting compressed, causing the sensation he's feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post
    Tingling sounds like nerve though, and since the sciatic nerve passes right by there, and the glutes, hamstrings, and piriformis are all tight during the deadlift, there's a chance it could be getting compressed, causing the sensation he's feeling.

Definitely right on the tingling. I was just rattling off random factoids about ischial tuberosities, not addressing the OP. Should have been more clear about that.

Sciatic getting compressed. Sounds plausible. Not sure what, if anything, I can do about it. I deadlift again Tuesday. Will watch for it.

Thanks for stoppin' by, guys.

starting strength coach development program
    Rolling around on a foam roller and/or lacrosse ball and stretching the piriformis, then maybe sports massage and/or chiropractic, would probably be the best way to approach it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast