Default Squat 375 Formcheck

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello Coaches,

previously, Tom C helped me in these threads:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ck-please.html
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...formcheck.html

The main takeaway for me was that I have to keep my upper back from rounding, head down and that I would really benefit from using a belt. The belt arrived a few weeks ago and I think it is really helping me.

Last Intensity Day, I did 374 (+clamps, so probably 375) for 2 triples. The video shows both sets, the second one starts at 34 seconds. I know you prefer to see the last set but I thought that seeing 6 reps instead of 3 might help.

What I see myself is that I seem to be too hesitant going down, I should get my knees into position faster and I'm doing some strange wave-like motion with my back on the way down. The tactically placed pot plant helps me keep my head down a little more but I still have to work on that.

On the last reps of both sets my back seems to round a little bit. Is the amount acceptable or do I have to reset or repeat?

Could I please get another formcheck?

For ID squats, those look pretty good. Descend a little faster. Going that slow is just making things worse. Don't collapse down there, but do go slighter faster. Keep your chin down. That will help you stay in your hips. Work hard on keeping your head out of the lift. Second set looked better than the first. Better depth on set two, too.

Thank you Tom!

I'll try to use a tennis ball under my chin on Wednesday (recovery day) and will post again on Friday with the new sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Toot View Post
    Thank you Tom!

I'll try to use a tennis ball under my chin on Wednesday (recovery day) and will post again on Friday with the new sets.
    The tennis ball won't work, but keep your chin down anyway.

I didn't use the tennisball, managed to keep my chin down on Recovery Day. Not so much on Intensity Day today.

I did two triples at just under 380 pounds. Again, there are both sets in the video, the second set starts at 30 s.

I tried to speed up the descent and to me it looks like it was a bit faster but probably still not fast enough. I didn't get my head position right, I am sorry about that, I should have tried harder because I definitely don't want to waste your time.

The last rep of both sets does look quite ugly to me with my back rounding. Do you think it would be warranted at this point to move to doubles or singles in order to run out this cycle of TM or should I just suck it up and try harder next time?

Thanks again for all your work, you are a great help!!

Those looked fine for intensity day. Your heaviest squats will never be your most beautiful. Keep working on your head position. As you mentioned, speeding up your descent slightly will likely help things. Try a stance that is about 3 or 4 cm wider. You look just a bit too narrow there. If you can hit triples again next week, do so.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you, Tom!

If it is okay, I'll post one more time tomorrow to see whether I am going in the right direction.