starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Rip,

I have been struggling with my squat form. I recently learned that I tend to do a good morning on the way up. I have attempted to employ the "chest up" and "drive the chest at the ceiling" cues, and the results can be seen here:

Believe it or not, this is an improvement over previous workouts. (I didn't know I was doing the good morning until I saw a video of myself last week).

Do you have any pointers?

Thank you kindly for your time.

Narrow your stance a little, drop your chin/look down more, and keep your chest up better. At least you're driving your hips up.

Thank you many times for the critique. I'll do my best to implement it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Narrow your stance a little, drop your chin/look down more, and keep your chest up better. At least you're driving your hips up.
    I haven't been around these forums for long, but I am curious about these posts for form checks on the squat. What I've noticed is that you don't advise dropping weight and learning the mechanics. Have you given up on such a recommendation because people don't listen?

Personally, I practiced a lot without a bar, then with a bar, then I started with light and went up. My thinking was: Fundamentals--learn 'em, and never have a problem. Seems like guys are more concerned about lifting a heavy weight than they are about lifting it with proper mechanics, i.e., care more about the weight than about possibly hurting themselves. Over the years I've heard many complaints about backs and knees from squatting, and I can only think one thing when I hear about them: Improper mechanics. They swear it's "squatting" that does it, but I think it's "improper squatting" that does it.

That's pretty insightful.

Default Follow up

In this new video, I attempted to implement your advice. I remembered the "tennis ball" cue from SS--that is, I pictured gripping a tennis ball between chest and chin--and I think it made a difference in keeping my chest up better.

Additionally, I attempted to narrow my stance. Please let me know if it looks correct.

Thank you for your help.

starting strength coach development program
    Much better, but narrow a little more and stop dropping forward to your toes at the bottom.