starting strength gym

Thread: Texas method - How to get heavy Front Squats, heavy Chin-ups and Barbell Rows in?

Default Texas method - How to get heavy Front Squats, heavy Chin-ups and Barbell Rows in?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey guys, just want to gather some opinions.

I want to start doing the Texas Method. However, heavy Front Squats, Chin-ups and Barbell Rows are all part of my current routine and I really don’t want to stop doing them. So I came up with this:

So, bascially alternate everything weekly and do Deadlifts instead of Rows on intensity day. Which I think makes a lot of sense, because I can’t do heavy rows (like 3-5RM heavy) without my form turning to complete shit anyway. And since I don’t care about powerlifting, deadlifting too frequently isn’t important to me. I’m a bit worried because I think frequency on the Back Squat might be too low for progress to happen. But I’m not sure.

Tell me what you guys think! Utter bs or worth trying?

And another question regarding the Texas Method: Do you think taking two days off after intensity day is necessary? Or would I be fine with 1 day on, 1 day off?

Thanks,
    jodelsepp

Quote Originally Posted by jodelsepp View Post
    Hey guys, just want to gather some opinions.

I want to start doing the Texas Method. However, heavy Front Squats, Chin-ups and Barbell Rows are all part of my current routine and I really don’t want to stop doing them. So I came up with this:

So, bascially alternate everything weekly and do Deadlifts instead of Rows on intensity day. Which I think makes a lot of sense, because I can’t do heavy rows (like 3-5RM heavy) without my form turning to complete shit anyway. And since I don’t care about powerlifting, deadlifting too frequently isn’t important to me. I’m a bit worried because I think frequency on the Back Squat might be too low for progress to happen. But I’m not sure.

Tell me what you guys think! Utter bs or worth trying?

And another question regarding the Texas Method: Do you think taking two days off after intensity day is necessary? Or would I be fine with 1 day on, 1 day off?

Thanks,
    jodelsepp
    I'm not going to comment on the front squats, but if you think you can get away with shorting yourself one of the days off on Texas Method, you don't know jack about Texas Method. Or you better be planning to eat a fistful of dianabol with breakfast every day.

Need gender, age, height, weight (approx bf% if you know), most recent worksets (weight x reps x sets) for

Back squat
    Front squat
    Barbell row
    Chins
    Deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I'm not going to comment on the front squats, but if you think you can get away with shorting yourself one of the days off on Texas Method, you don't know jack about Texas Method. Or you better be planning to eat a fistful of dianabol with breakfast every day.
    Heh, I thought so. Thanks for your honesty! What about some mid intensity cardio (for about 20-30 minutes) on the days after volume and intensity day? That should be fine, I guess? I can't sit on my ass and do nothing 4 days a week lol.

About the routine, I've researched a bit more and came up with this:

The Front Squats on recovery day will be done with about 80-85% of the weight used for Back Squats on volume day. If this turns out to be too much, I can still reduce it by a few %. RDL and Barbell Rows should be pretty light and not feel heavy. I think this gets the best of both worlds.

This is too much for recovery day. Esp. RDL will affect your DL so close to intensity day. I'd add an extra assistance day on tuesday for RDLs and rows.
    Have you read Justin Lascek's TM books? I highly recommend them.