starting strength gym

Thread: Places to train in Indianapolis?

mikeylikey Guest

Default Places to train in Indianapolis?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Sorry, don't know if this is the best place to ask this...

I'm on a trial membership at Cardinal Fitness (I'm on the northside). Seems like I could make do there, anybody know of somewhere more appropriate?

Thanks,

mike

I train at the Gold's Gym near 86th and Michigan. It's not ideal, but it works. No bumper plates or deadlift jacks, but they did recently bring out a 2nd squat rack from storage.

The rules say no chalk, but they also say to rack your weights. Nobody follows that rule so I don't see disregarding the chalk rule being a problem.

Apart from the usual gym rats, there are some strong dudes that train there. I've seen a couple guys deadlift 5 plates. Not much squatting going on though.

Maybe most importantly, it's not very social. Nobody comes over and tells me how I'm going to wreck my back or knees squatting, or tries to spot without my asking, or otherwise gives me other unsolicited training advice.

mikeylikey Guest

I feel like a tool for bumping this, but I'm getting ready to start including power cleans in my program, and my gym has no bumper plates.

I know I'll be fine for a quite while, as I learned from using "THE DAMNED SEARCH FUNCTION" that bumper plates do not become necessary till the weight gets pretty heavy. Well, I intend for the weight to get heavy eventually.

Anyway, does anybody know of a place on the northside of Indianapolis?

BTW Thanks for the reply Nick. Sounds like we are in about the same boat. Haven't brought out the chalk yet as my lifts are all relatively light but I was deadlifting 3 feet from the owner the other day right in the middle of the floor and she didn't complain.
    Last edited by mikeylikey; 06-14-2010 at 04:08 PM.

Powerliftingwatch.com has a pretty good directory for real gyms.

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/states.

Seems like a good time to update this thread. I went to powerliftingwatch.com and attempted to contact all the Indy area listings with the following results:

• Church of Iron: Web site down; left multiple messages with no reply
    • IFAST: requires semi-private training; lowest membership is $199/month (may or may not include unlimited gym use)
    • Meatheads (Lawrence): emailed; left voice mail
    • SETT Barbell Club: Number & Website now redirect to resultz1.com; seems to be training & supplements; workouts occur at an Anytime Fitness
    • Steel Dungeon Barbell: emailed to see if still exists
    • The Indy Gym: Web site ("thecarmelgym.com") and phone disconnected
    • Ft. Ben Crossfit and Defense (not on the list): Does not allow new members open gym and would not quote any pricing without an "assessment".

So far I'm empty-handed.

Any suggestions? I'd like to stay within a half hour of Lawrence and below $100/month if possible.
    Last edited by Longhair; 05-06-2015 at 05:04 PM.

mikeylikey Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Longhair View Post
    Seems like a good time to update this thread. I went to powerliftingwatch.com and attempted to contact all the Indy area listings with the following results:

• Church of Iron: Web site down; left multiple messages with no reply
    • IFAST: requires semi-private training; lowest membership is $199/month (may or may not include unlimited gym use)
    • Meatheads (Lawrence): emailed; left voice mail
    • SETT Barbell Club: Number & Website now redirect to resultz1.com; seems to be training & supplements; workouts occur at an Anytime Fitness
    • Steel Dungeon Barbell: emailed to see if still exists
    • The Indy Gym: Web site ("thecarmelgym.com") and phone disconnected
    • Ft. Ben Crossfit and Defense (not on the list): Does not allow new members open gym and would not quote any pricing without an "assessment".

So far I'm empty-handed.

Any suggestions? I'd like to stay within a half hour of Lawrence and below $100/month if possible.
    Join a Golds, save up the other $80/month and in a year you can put together a pretty nice setup in your garage. That's what I did. There isn't anything around here.

starting strength coach development program
    IFAST does give unlimited open gym but you have to have a training package. The hours are better than they used to be. I think Church of Iron closed. There is Meatheads in Lawrence, but I think no heat or AC. The Rock gym was off Keystone but moved and might be closed right now.