starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What sort of program should I be doing?

Default What sort of program should I be doing?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Mark,

I've been lifting on and off for over 11 years and never really got serious until about 3 years ago. I've dabbled with bodybuilding bullshit, "8 Weeks to Massive Arms" programs and I dicked around with resistance machines until about 2.5 years ago. None of it really worked.

Over the past 2.5 years, I've done Ross Training and Building the Gymnastic Body, and while I've made some great gains on the programs, I now see their limitations. I want to commit more to strength while doing interval training once per week to maintain my endurance. Given my stats, what sort of program do you think I should be doing?

Height: 5'6"
    Weight: 143 lbs.

Squat: 260 X 6
    Bench: 220 X 6
    Deadlift: 405
    Power clean: 190
    Weigted dips: +145 X 3

You sure sound pretty strong to me. Have you read PPST2?

I actually own it. However, I'm having a hard time getting through it because I work an average of 80 hours per week in an office setting. The lax weeks top out at 60, and I'm very grateful for them, but it is not uncommon to get slammed up to 120 hours in one week. Furthermore, the volume of my work is unpredictable, so I never know when I'll be able to get a good night's sleep.

When I get home during the hellish weeks, I try to read a few pages of PPST2, but I often pass out pretty quickly. I am thus taking a freaking long time to pinpoint what type of program I should be on.

I saw another member post a question similar to mine and he seemed to be about as strong as me, so I jumped to the advanced section of the book. I just read the TSFOSB section. Any guidance you can provide would be appreciated. I just don't want to put in aimless maintenance sessions. I want to get fucking strong and only gain weight if an increase in one of the big three necessitates it.

That strong at 143lbs? Man, if you went up a few weight classes you'd be monstrously strong.

I wrote the book for these types of questions, but I can't read it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I wrote the book for these types of questions, but I can't read it to you.
    The obvious answer is "PPfST2: The Audio Edition, read by Mark Rippetoe*."

* Expletives included. The feelings hurt might be your own. You must squat or you're a pussy.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post

* Expletives included. The feelings hurt might be your own. You must squat or you're a pussy.
    I'd buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by savage View Post
    However, I'm having a hard time getting through it because I work an average of 80 hours per week in an office setting. The lax weeks top out at 60, and I'm very grateful for them, but it is not uncommon to get slammed up to 120 hours in one week. Furthermore, the volume of my work is .
    Ugh, not to sound like a pussy, but I seriously hope you get paid well for doing 120 hour weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post

I'd actually buy this. Rippetoe has a sexy voice made for audio books. I'd put him up there with Marc Thompson.

starting strength coach development program
    http://www.wfac-gym.com/files/radio_2011/VO1.mp3

Who is this guy Thompson who cannot spell Mark?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast