starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Young lifter

Default Young lifter

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I know you have been asked similar questions before, but I would appreciate your input. My son just turned 13 and he wants to start lifting with me. I would like him to start the SS program after I spend some time helping him with technique. He has not started puberty yet, but from what I have read from you in the past this is not a problem. I heard a new one that kids who haven't started pubert should not lift overhead. Lifting overhead could give them a hernia. What is your opinion on this?

My god. I had always just thought that it stunted their growth.

Good thing I saw this. I called my wife at home right away and told her not to store the extra batteries on top of the fridge anymore, lest my son get a hernia reaching overhead to get them down.

Lots of 13 year olds join high school football and wrestling teams each year, and do plenty of overhead lifting as part of their practices. Your son will be fine.

Believe me, this sounded crazy to me to, but I appreciate the input. I don't know where people come up with this stuff. I never realized when I was a kid I was so delicate, but somehow I made it.

I type this from the recovery ward of a hospital in Indianapolis. I am currently recovering from a hernia and receiving surgery to correct years of bone damage that I received from years of reaching for milk that I was drinking on the advice of a Mr. Mark Rippetoe. I am attempting to file a lawsuit against Mr. Rippetoe so he can hurt no more children.

Put everything below your child's head so he doesn't suffer as I have. No exceptions.

Well, for god's sake, risk the hernia, because if you don't he'll probably sit in his bedroom getting hairy palms.

Quote Originally Posted by The Emaciated Freak View Post
    I type this from the recovery ward of a hospital in Indianapolis. I am currently recovering from a hernia and receiving surgery to correct years of bone damage that I received from years of reaching for milk that I was drinking on the advice of a Mr. Mark Rippetoe. I am attempting to file a lawsuit against Mr. Rippetoe so he can hurt no more children.

Put everything below your child's head so he doesn't suffer as I have. No exceptions.
    I just did this to "save the children", but now they've injured their fragile low-backs because I placed the milk on the low shelf in the door. OH THE HUMANITY!

Quote Originally Posted by The Emaciated Freak View Post

Could you please give me a little more information.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jmw321 View Post
    Could you please give me a little more information.
    There's plenty available at your fingertips:

1. SEARCH FUNCTION: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=15737

2. Required reading:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast