starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First stall on press...

Default First stall on press...

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I recently stalled on press at 59kg. I got 5,5,3. I'm going to try again next workout but I don't think I will be able to do it based on how hard it was and how hard the last few press workouts have been.

Since 55kg I have been micro-loading in 1.5kg and 1kg jumps. I am going to deload 10% if I miss 59kg again. Should I micro-load my way back to 59kg or will 2.5kg jumps be fine?

Thanks

height,
    bodyweight
    pre-ss bodyweight
    athletic-background
    how long have you been lifting?
    form

Let's answer this question with more questions, shall we?
    Step One - did I rest enough between sets?
    Step Two - did I have adequate sleep last night and/or a tiring day so far today?
    Step Three - have I had enough food of a reasonable quality in the last half day or so?
    Step Four - anything else. Was my mental state "right" or did I lack confidence as I approached the bar? Was my setup right, like did I notice I was off center as I unracked it and did the set anyway? These types of things.

This is Bill's List and may not reflect the views and opinions of the author of "Starting Strength; Basic Barbell Training Volume III"; "Practical Programming For Strength Training"; the Starting Strength Coaches Association; nor the Aasgard Company or any of its international subsidiaries.

Sorry...

Height: 6ft
    Bodyweight: 200lbs / 90kg
    Pre-SS bodyweight: 160lbs / 73kg
    Athletic Background: Have always had some sort fitness/strength goal over the last few years, but this is the first time I've followed a solid plan (Starting Strength) and had a good diet and committed to it properly.
    Diet: 4000kcal, 220g Protein, 430g Carbs, 155g Fat. Mostly all good quality nutritious food.
    Lifting history: On and off for the last few years, first time doing it right though. Been doing Starting Strength consistently for around 2 months. (Started off before that with a few injuries requiring time off).
    Form: Using press 1.0. Haven't posted a form check yet but am confident that it is good, and that is the weight causing me to struggle and not my form.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Been View Post
    Let's answer this question with more questions, shall we?
    Step One - did I rest enough between sets?
    Step Two - did I have adequate sleep last night and/or a tiring day so far today?
    Step Three - have I had enough food of a reasonable quality in the last half day or so?
    Step Four - anything else. Was my mental state "right" or did I lack confidence as I approached the bar? Was my setup right, like did I notice I was off center as I unracked it and did the set anyway? These types of things.

This is Bill's List and may not reflect the views and opinions of the author of "Starting Strength; Basic Barbell Training Volume III"; "Practical Programming For Strength Training"; the Starting Strength Coaches Association; nor the Aasgard Company or any of its international subsidiaries.
    1) I have been having loads of rest on the press in between sets recently as it is getting so difficult. Probably around 8 minutes.
    2) I always get lots of sleep. Usually 8-9 hours.
    3) I always hit my calories/macros with mostly good quality food.
    4) Set up was fine. Mental state might not have been. I was half expecting to miss the weight since it has been getting so hard. The last couple of press workouts have required all my physical and mental energy to lift to weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Sorry...

Height: 6ft
    Bodyweight: 200lbs / 90kg
    Pre-SS bodyweight: 160lbs / 73kg
    Athletic Background: Have always had some sort fitness/strength goal over the last few years, but this is the first time I've followed a solid plan (Starting Strength) and had a good diet and committed to it properly.
    Diet: 4000kcal, 220g Protein, 430g Carbs, 155g Fat. Mostly all good quality nutritious food.
    Lifting history: On and off for the last few years, first time doing it right though. Been doing Starting Strength consistently for around 2 months. (Started off before that with a few injuries requiring time off).
    Form: Using press 1.0. Haven't posted a form check yet but am confident that it is good, and that is the weight causing me to struggle and not my form.
    I can't tell you whats wrong, but now that the appropriate background information is known hopefully the experienced people will chime in.

Good Luck

also, its Sunday, and the boards are typically dead on the weekends so it may take another day for the replies to start coming in.

I recently stalled on press at 59kg. I got 5,5,3.
    Try a couple of backoff sets after your three. Something like 90% or 80%. Or some push presses. That will either help or make things worse; if it makes them worse, you aren't recovering.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    assuming nutrition and recovery (including between sets) was enough, i wouldn't deload 10%.

i'd try going back down to your last successful 3x5 and do 4-5x5, then microload back up for your 3x5.

are you still doing SS?
    Not sure I understand sorry. I have been microloading anyway since 55kg. My last succesful 3x5 was 58kg, but I know with almost 100% certainty I wouldn't get 5x5 on that weight. (My last rep of my 3rd set on 58kg took me about 10 seconds and after racking it I pretty much collapsed on the floor).

Yeah still on SS, and expect to be for a while yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Esres View Post
    Try a couple of backoff sets after your three. Something like 90% or 80%. Or some push presses. That will either help or make things worse; if it makes them worse, you aren't recovering.
    Assuming it makes things worse and all my other recovery variables are in check, what would you recommend I do?

starting strength coach development program
    ...was half expecting to miss the weight since it has been getting so hard.
    I can't overstate how important this is. You have to find a way to remove all doubt if you're going to make a lift when it gets heavy. You may have other problems as well (form, recovery, etc.), but this is one that will follow you from session to session.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast