starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have/had the bar 'lopsided' when squatting?

Default Anyone have/had the bar 'lopsided' when squatting?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    By this I mean that the bar isn't straight across your back, but is more like a see-saw across your back; one side is higher up in the air than the other.

I've felt this before, and today my brother commented on it whilst I was squatting. Any ideas what causes it and how I can get rid of it?

possible reasons

1. shoulder flexibility
    2. anthropometry
    3. technique
    4. one side favored more than the other
    5. too tired to make it straight

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    possible reasons

1. shoulder flexibility
    2. anthropometry
    3. technique
    4. one side favored more than the other
    5. too tired to make it straight
    #1 would probably be the issue for me, being an inflexible sombitch. Is it something I should be worried about, or is it not such a big deal?

I have that. And no matter how god damn attentive I try to be, it's still lopsided. Right side of the bar is always alot lower than the left. Pisses me off, but it doesn't really seem to affect me that much. It's gotten better since I discovered it, since I'm always paying attention to squeezing the bar harder with my left hand, bringing it down a bit, but still not perfect.

So long as the bar is the only thing that is lopsided it's not a big deal. I do it slightly all the time.

The bar may be messed up. I've even seen eleiko bars bend lol. I never have this problem bc of the way I load the bar. If I'm squatting 150kg. I load the bar with as many 15 and 10kg plates as much as I can. You even progress faster with this type of loading bc of the bar whip. You can lift the 150 easier and thus go for 160 and your body learns to feel the heavier weight. It's cheating but it's an old school trick that works.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatemoney123 View Post
    The bar may be messed up. I've even seen eleiko bars bend lol. I never have this problem bc of the way I load the bar. If I'm squatting 150kg. I load the bar with as many 15 and 10kg plates as much as I can. You even progress faster with this type of loading bc of the bar whip. You can lift the 150 easier and thus go for 160 and your body learns to feel the heavier weight. It's cheating but it's an old school trick that works.
    learn something new every day how bout that.

Have somebody qualified check your pelvic alignment and any possible leg length differential.

I think the simplest explanation is that your grip is uneven or the bar is uneven across your back. The things mentioned above may be true, but check this first.

starting strength coach development program
    I've noticed my bar being lopsided too...its not my grip or bar placement on my back that'ss fucked up...its that my shoulders aren't symmetrical...my right deltoid is bigger than my left (so when I push my elbows up the bar is obviously higher on the right making the bar look uneven)....but my traps are uneven and I think that is the cause of my chest being like that too...4 years of doing shoulder shrugs for football with an alternate grip...guessing it will fix itself over time since I've added shrugs on Tuesdays but I do DOH with wraps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast