starting strength gym

Thread: Pin/Concenctric Squats?

Default Pin/Concenctric Squats?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Anyone ever done these?

Ive been trying them recently as a possible cure for my excessive forward lean on (high bar) squats and it seems to be working.

But I was shocked at how hard they are. If starting at the bottom I would struggle to get 40% of my 5 rep back squat off the pins. If I started at the top but paused at the bottom briefly I could do 60% of 5rm squat with difficulty.

Ive looked around on youtube and found there is very little (I could find any) examples of squats off the pins from full depth. But it seems like a good exercise.
    Last edited by Dastardly; 08-26-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Check KSC's log.

This is one of my favorite exercises.

i do concentric only benching from ~1inch off the chest. i do them for singles only, so as to completely eliminate any additional energy lowering the bar.

conjugate system guys do GM's off chains(probably to make getting into position easier vs. doing them off the safeties). it's not technically a "squat" but it's also technically not a "goodmorning" since they advise to just get the bar up no matter how.

Great exercise, but yes, extremely difficult/quite humbling. There was an awesome thread or two on powerandbulk where one of the old timey guys, small but extremely strong powerlifter, raved about this exercise as being his favorite for squat success a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post
    There was an awesome thread or two on powerandbulk where one of the old timey guys, small but extremely strong powerlifter,
    Who?

starting strength coach development program
    I am doing some rack work off the pins for my front squat sticking point.

It hurts a lot.