starting strength gym

Thread: Creatine

Default Creatine

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey guys.
    I know creatine works but I read in some sources that the gains were really dramatic , one guy increasing his bench from 225 to 315 , other studies claiming that creatine can actually double gains etc...

I want to know if anybody out here tried creatine and if the difference is really drastic.

creatine isnt going to add 90 lbs to your bench or else it wouldn't be so cheap

That my friend is known as good marketing. Remember, the people writing reviews are not always honest or actually not influenced/sponsored by the product being advertised or discussed.

Please also keep in mind that had said gent started taking creatine when he started something like an SS program, that his Bench could gain 90lbs and he could attribute that to the creatine and not to the good programming, diet, and rest that went along with it. Had his Bench jumped from 225lbs one week and 315lbs the next week, then I would attribute that to things other than creatine... like gaining super powers, don't even know if started a steroid cycle would cause a 90lb lift increase after a single week, maybe a couple weeks, but again, more time is involved.

Search the Resources page for Rip's article on the Novice Effect.

I used Creatine after stalling...and that was after I made sure my rest, caloric intake and exercise form were not setting me back. Creatine helped, it is worth the money...I bought the cheapest I could find and it worked just as good as the expensive one I used to buy back in the 90s. That been said, gains are NOT dramatic and there a few individuals it does nothing for.

Not really helpful for sets of 5s.

Quote Originally Posted by Shion View Post
    Not really helpful for sets of 5s.

Why not?

Edit: 5s wont deplete your glycogen stores??

For me, it shortens rest times up by quite a bit. Used to rest 10 minutes between pressing sets, now rest about 4-5. I hear this is the only benefit.

Also, I've read that creatine is only useful for low reps, so it's quite helpful for sets of 5s. I still have to rest a ton after a max set of chins though, so there you go. (I do 12 reps my first set, next rep would fail)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by exter View Post
    Hey guys.
    I know creatine works but I read in some sources that the gains were really dramatic , one guy increasing his bench from 225 to 315 , other studies claiming that creatine can actually double gains etc...

I want to know if anybody out here tried creatine and if the difference is really drastic.
    Tried it, use it regularly, continue to make gains, but not drastic gains. The only drastic gains I've experienced were in the novice phase, as mentioned above (and without creatine).