starting strength gym

Thread: walking?

Default walking?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've gone up from 145 to close to 170 in a few months. I've always had really flat feet, and my legs (everything under the knee) would always get sore if I walked around for an hour or two. No big deal really.

Lately, the last few weeks, somehow this has turned into my legs getting sore/tired after a few MINUTES of walking. It's absolutely ridiculous, and i'm assuming its from the weight gain, as it's gradually gotten worse as I gradually gained weight. I'm way stronger, my upper legs have become pretty massive, but everything under the knee gets tired and sore as fuck in a few minutes of walking, pathetic.

I'm trying to walk around (i'm back in the city for school) as much as I can, but its not improving. I'm obviously not going to let it stop me from anything, but I hate the idea that I put on all this muscle, and walking is this pathetic now. Anyone have something similar happen?

Yes, since I put on tons of weight it happens to me every year, especially in the winter when I wear heavier shoes. It wears off as your body gets accustomed to it.

OP, I've had the same issue in the past after periods of weight gain. You'll adapt, although maybe not as quickly as you'd like. It is a bit shocking at the time though.

A tangentially related question: What if any health and fitness benefits result from slow-paced walking for a strength trainee (i.e., not a totally sedentary person who'd get results from anything)? I would google this but I don't consider myself sciency enough to know what results are legit.

I don't really know if it has any "fitness benefits", but I still like to walk a lot. Walking burns calories which is useful for some of us. It doesn't interfere with other training like more strenuous activity can. It requires no particular equipment or preparation. I walk fast enough for my heart rate to rise a bit. Not a huge amount, but some, especially up hill. I've timed myself and I walk at ~7.5km/h or 4.7 mph over longer distances (pace 12:46 min/mile).

I walk to work and back every day, about 10 minutes each way and usually about 20-30 minutes at lunch. I also try to get in a longer walk, an hour or more, most weekends.

I think it's at least a good habit to have.

Are you guys talking about hurting 10 minutes into your walk or that a 10 min walk causes soreness the next day?

i used to walk ~15 min to the train station every day. Whenever i'd stop for more than a week or two i'd have sore calves and feet the next day after resuming. For me this happened regardless of other training i might have been doing. If you mean that you were hurting 10 min into your walk... that's kind of weird.
    (i'm heavier though at 225 to 250 so i never noticed it based on weight change)

I'm talking like 2-3 minutes into a walk, right then and there. Soon as I get off my feet, its fine. Just, heavy, sore, tired feet/ankle/shins and maybe calves.

I have flat feet, so I know the way I walk is biologically not all that right, but I've never had anything like this, and it happens all the time now.

Aren't there shoe inserts you can get for flat footed people that give you an arch?..Should look into it

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ.D. View Post
    Aren't there shoe inserts you can get for flat footed people that give you an arch?..Should look into it
    Disagree (and they don't give you an arch, they just support your foot differently).

It could be the shoes though. Try walking without shoes and see if it's any better.

Didn't know that...I just knew of inserts

starting strength coach development program
    I deliver mail as a part time job and have to walk for like 5 hours at a strong pace. I'm about 235-240 wile carrying mail I think. at first I got a bit sore too but this wears off.
    So I would say you should be able to walk for a decent time eventually but if it doesn't get better I would get it checked out.