starting strength gym

Thread: Why do people say you gain only gain 2 lbs of muscle a month?

Default Why do people say you gain only gain 2 lbs of muscle a month?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    First off, I know this is cr*p. I've been following SS to the letter and according to caliper measurements have been gaining 2 lbs of LBM a week. But a lot of people say that you can only gain 2 lbs a month. Look at MMA fighter Frank Mir. He says that before he only trained like a bodybuilder, but then he started training with former strongman Mark Philippi, and Philippi said that he had Mir doing heavy-ass Squats, Deadlifts, Cleans. Mir put on 25 lbs in about 5 months and most people on the bb.com and sherdog forums said that he was on steroids. But I noticed that this fell exactly in line with what you preach - heavy compound lifts. And seeing that Mir himself stated that he was a novice in heavy weight training, I see no reason why he couldn't have gained that weight.

Thank you for converting me from the whole "2 lbs max, anymore is fat" mentality.

People say stupid shit all the time. People say squats are bad for your knees and presses will cause shoulder impingement. People just repeat what they hear from supposedly credible sources. Fucking people.

I believe it was Mark Rippetoe who once said: "People are some dense motherfuckers".

LBM != muscle. 2lb of muscle a month is 24lb of muscle a year. That's insane.

Confirmation bias. Having never achieved very good results, nor seen anyone achieve very good results, it's comforting when someone tells you that good results are not possible.

But I like where this thread is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal_k View Post
    LBM != muscle. 2lb of muscle a month is 24lb of muscle a year. That's insane.
    That's an extreme amount of muscle to be gained -- you'd probably have to be on 'roids. Maybe, if we're lucky, SDG will come back and tell us what the real number is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    presses will cause shoulder impingement. .
    I spoke with a personal trainer here in NYC and I told him that the clean and press is the king of all lifts. His response was "you'll fuck up your lower back with the press." I told him that barbell training is superior compared to bodyweight exercises. He said it's dangerous to lift heavy weights. Moral of the story? Mind your own business and lift heavy weights.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamneth View Post
    That's an extreme amount of muscle to be gained -- you'd probably have to be on 'roids. Maybe, if we're lucky, SDG will come back and tell us what the real number is.
    I have prayed to the troll Gods. It will be done.