starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we have a new rant about how the roll of shame is BAD?

Default Can we have a new rant about how the roll of shame is BAD?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've seen this brought up here before, and the general consensus (obviously) was that you do not want to expose your belly to heavy weight in the event of a fail. The answer, quite simply, is to always use a goddamn spotter. The rolling nature of heavy weight can rupture your abdominal lining.

It's shit like this that reminds me just how idiotic people are, and specifically this thread. People are actively defending the roll of shame because there are videos of people doing it on the internet, and because there are no news stories of injuries or death associated with the act.

Why!? Why must such idiocy exist!?

There are, in fact, incidents involving abdominal bleed-out following the bar being rolled down the belly. Don't bench without spotters or a power rack set for protection. You don't need to bench that badly.

I've mentioned it before... but I highly recommend the Westside Bench from Rogue (http://www.roguefitness.com/westside-bench). It is not only EXTREMELY stable, but you can set the spotter pins to the perfect height. In some power racks, the spacer holes are too large to find the exact point you want your spotters. If you email Rogue and ask them to give you a discount, they will shave some dollars off. Out of all of the equipment I've bought from Rogue (and it is ALL quality), this may be my favorite. Even if you have a power rack, it is worth the money. You literally can not die if you bench in this.

Roll of shame is fucking stupid. The least you can do if you bench alone and don't have a rack (aside from not collaring the bar) is to buy something sturdy like sawhorses and use them to catch the bar if you fail. What, $100 isn't worth your life?

I would never bench alone without some sort of safety pins or sturdy structures to act as such, even if I didn't collar the bar. I've had the bar misgroove on bench once or twice and fly at my face. It doesn't matter if you have the collars off, that'll do serious damage. Luckily I had safety pins in. Don't be fucking stupid; your life is worth more than investing $100-200 in safety measures.

It's also surprising how fast a blood choke can make you pass out. Done correctly, it takes about 1 second before black out. A bar might complicate a well executed blood choke, but a good weight might suffocate and cut off arteries at the same time.

A good enough weight might cut off your head too, depending on how fast it hits the bench under your neck.

A spotter isn't an option for many people even in a commercial gym. In my gym its impossible to set the safeties on the rack to a height to rest the bar under a deflated chest. The next setting up is too high to touch bar on chest each rep. I'd like to know what other options are available for this situation?

The other members in the gym won't spot you. Even if you ask nicely. The gym hasn't got the equipment to set up a safe bench press. Sounds like you're helpless here. Don't bench.

If only you could rig chains or tow straps to the exact perfect height....

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by danlightbulb View Post
    A spotter isn't an option for many people even in a commercial gym. In my gym its impossible to set the safeties on the rack to a height to rest the bar under a deflated chest. The next setting up is too high to touch bar on chest each rep. I'd like to know what other options are available for this situation?
    Please tell me how a spotter isn't possible in a commercial gym? It's never a circumstance when there are others around.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast