starting strength gym

Thread: dips...weighted???

Default dips...weighted???

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Mark,
    I've been using this exercise as an assistance. I asked you before if eventually,once I got strong on it, I could use it as a main lift, you said sure.
    My question is, I'm doing now 3 sets of 10 w/bodyweigth. Would this be a good time to start adding some weight? Also, if so, what would be a good rep range to start adding weight? 3 sets of 5 across? Thanks again.

Three sets of 10 unweighted dips is not strong. I can do 25+ and I haven't benched in years. I'd stay with the program, if it were me.

Weighted dips are an excellent exercise, and one of my personal favorites. I think once you can do a set of 20 reps bodyweight it would be a good time to start adding weight. If you are doing the novice program though I think it would be best to just focus on getting strong on the bench press for now. Once you decide to start adding weight start with 10 lbs, choose a rep range that suits you, 3x5 would be fine, and add 5 lbs every workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Three sets of 10 unweighted dips is not strong. I can do 25+ and I haven't benched in years. I'd stay with the program, if it were me.
    Coach,

How come you haven't benched in so long?

OK Mark, I will take your advice and stick to the program. So let me rephrase my question. Doing dips as an assitance exercise, at what point do I do them weigthed and what rep range do I use? In your books you suggest doing weighted chinups once 10-15 resp are possible on the top set. Then you suggest alternating weigthed chinups in the 5-7 rep range with unweighted chinups to failure for best results. Would this apply to dips?
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by rocko View Post
    Mark,
    I've been using this exercise as an assistance. I asked you before if eventually,once I got strong on it, I could use it as a main lift, you said sure.
    My question is, I'm doing now 3 sets of 10 w/bodyweigth. Would this be a good time to start adding some weight? Also, if so, what would be a good rep range to start adding weight? 3 sets of 5 across? Thanks again.
    Yeah as Mark said, not yet, however try doing them slower to increase the intensity. Try starting out by making the lowering phase a 5 sec. count. I do around 3 sets at 20 reps but I've incorporated this method and it's helped me alot. Great for strength and muscular endurance.

starting strength coach development program
    Rocko, the same advice would apply to dips. And I haven't benched in years due to a rotator cuff tear that is aggravated by the movement. I'm fine if I press, chin, and occasionally dip, but I can't sleep if I bench, and I'm not going to have surgery to fix it.