starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench question

Switch Guest

Default Bench question

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I am think about getting the rogue bench, the basic one, it is about $200, is it a good bench? Money is a factor and I am looking for a good value for the money bench.

Speaking of money, Is there a generic bench plan that can be welded together for a good sturdy bench?

Don't see it. Post the link.

Switch Guest

Here is the one I meant: http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-fl...lity-bench.php

They also have a bolt-together version incase the floor is slanted(?: http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-bt-bench.php

This bench appears to be called the Rogue Flat Utility Bench, not "the Rogue Bench". Thus, my confusion. How do bolts make a floor level?

I have the flat utility bench (welded version) and love it, don't think there is a better flat bench available for the price. Most other benches are too narrow, and either too tall or too short. The Rogue bench is the closest to IPF competition specs I've been able to find in an affordable flat bench.

Regarding the bolted version, it doesn't "make the floor level" but if your floor isn't level, you can set the bench on the floor with the bolts a little loose and let it settle itself out, then tighten them so the bench doesn't wobble. My welded version wobbles like crazy in my basement because the floor isn't level, so I actually have to shim up one of the feet. I previously had a crappier bench that was bolted together and had no wobbling issues because I could self correct it for the floor and tighten the bolts afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How do bolts make a floor level?
    They don't. There is a enough play in the construction to allow it to conform to the level of the floor, but not much. Looks pretty agricultural to me.

I have had the welded bench for over a year now. It is great, no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This bench appears to be called the Rogue Flat Utility Bench, not "the Rogue Bench". Thus, my confusion. How do bolts make a floor level?
    From their site:

It's also handy if you workout in your garage and your floor is not perfectly level. Loosen up the bolts, allow it to settle to your floor, then re-tighten. No more wobbly bench.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
    Regarding the bolted version, it doesn't "make the floor level" but if your floor isn't level, you can set the bench on the floor with the bolts a little loose and let it settle itself out, then tighten them so the bench doesn't wobble. My welded version wobbles like crazy in my basement because the floor isn't level, so I actually have to shim up one of the feet. I previously had a crappier bench that was bolted together and had no wobbling issues because I could self correct it for the floor and tighten the bolts afterwards.
    What if you move the bench to another place on the floor?

starting strength coach development program
    Switch just apprised us of the fact that he obtained all the books and video from Pirate Bay:http://startingstrength.com/resource...822#post679822

Please direct all future questions to Pirate Bay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast