starting strength gym

Thread: Number of Sets, Novice Programming

Default Number of Sets, Novice Programming

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Practical Programming outlines in great detail how work at different numbers of repetitions drives different adaptations. The book stands out from other fitness and training books in this - it backs its assertions with facts, experience, and common sense.

I was wondering, though, what motivates the suggested number of work sets for a novice. In the novice chapter you suggest 3-5 work sets, and the SS program settles on 3 for most of the main lifts. Why? PP states that the majority of the disruption that drives adaptation is done with the beginner's first heavy set, so is it just a case of diminishing returns? Or is it that I'm likely to injure my novice ass pushing through work sets 4 and 5?

Side note: I was doing StrongLifts 5x5 up until a couple of weeks ago, and eating 1,300kcal/day because I listened to bodybuilders and was an idiot. Now that I eat like I want to grow and am doing SS, the novice effect is amazing me. Three times a week I walk up to the bar which is loaded with more weight than last time and, used to failure, expect to fail. Then the bar moves and life is good.

# sets work best because experience has taught us that this is the correct dose of stress for a novice, 95% of the time.

Then three sets is what I'll continue doing. Thanks.