starting strength gym

Thread: Deltoid Injury

Default Deltoid Injury

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Ok so this is my first lengthy injury and I知 pretty sure it is due to me doing something stupid but I知 now going on 4 months and interested in some advise/perspective.

July 15 I did some lat pull downs seated rows and barbell curls for the first time. The weight did not seem all that difficult but the next day my muscles were pretty fatigued. Next day I had bench and press (doing a 4 day split) and I had to deload my bench about 3% and did same weight on press. Hit PRs on the 19th on assisted chins.

Next day I noted a sharp pain in my deltoid. About two inches down from the top of my shoulder dead center in the lateral aspect. This persisted and I had to deload. I continued to train and it never got worse but it has not gotten better.

Not only does it affect my press and bench but also is affecting my squat as it hurts like hell right when I get under the bar. Putting a coat on or clapping my hands hurts too.

I can still DL and hit a PR on my press in August and a PR on DL in September but did it through the pain.

Any thoughts on: A. Do I need to see somebody? B. What the heck could it be.

I知 thinking a muscle belly tear.

Nah, I'd guess trigger point. Get a lacrosse ball. Deltoid trigger points are usually in the deltoid muscle, if memory serves.

You might be on to something. Just read a bit about this. Never heard of it before. I値l give the lacrosse ball a shot. Thanks.

Sometimes you'll see instant improvement, but sometimes stubborn trigger points might take a few days of repeated treatment.

I highly recommend this book:

The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief - Kindle edition by Clair Davies, Amber Davies, David G. Simons. Health, Fitness & Dieting Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

How old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    How old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dust Devil View Post
    Sometimes you'll see instant improvement, but sometimes stubborn trigger points might take a few days of repeated treatment.

I highly recommend this book:

The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief - Kindle edition by Clair Davies, Amber Davies, David G. Simons. Health, Fitness & Dieting Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
    Thanks. I値l check it out

If you didn稚 bruise, it wasn稚 a tear. And you would have felt it right away. Where is it exactly?

starting strength coach development program
    Two inches down on the straight lateral aspect of the shoulder is the general area of the supraspinatus insertion. With your age, I'd favor a diagnosis of supraspinatus tendinopathy versus a deltoid injury.