starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best bar and plates?

Default Best bar and plates?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm looking into buying a new bar and plates, what is t he best overall bar for general strength training? I'm also going to look at getting some plates, what are the best plates? I'd prefer if they were iron since the plastic ones can be pretty pricy. Ideas?

Plates depends on what you like.

Bar also depends. People here like the b & r and Ohio power bar.

Some folks like the Texas power bar.

And if you are looking to save skillin swears by the cap for a good cheap bar.

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    Plates depends on what you like.

Bar also depends. People here like the b & r and Ohio power bar.

Some folks like the Texas power bar.

And if you are looking to save skillin swears by the cap for a good cheap bar.
    I've heard good things about the Ohio power bar, although I've only seen it on the rogue fitness website. Do you know if you can get it anywhere else for a bit cheaper? I haven't really heard that much about the Texas power bar.

Rogue is it for Ohio. Ohio is fairly based off the Texas. Ohio seems a little more refined

What's your budget?

For squat, bench, OHP, deadlift only: Rogue Ohio Power Bar. Bare steel for $250 is a damn good deal IMO.
    For the above lifts plus power cleans: Rogue B&R 2.0
    If $250-300 is too expensive, you can get the CAP OB-86B for $125 sometimes. You might outgrow it and want a better bar, though.

Plates: buy used on craigslist if possible. Like idlehands said, depends what you like. I have Rogue's standard olympic plates and Troy Premium wide flange. The Troys are calibrated within 2% and nicer to handle because of the wide flange, but more pricey. Adamant Barbell has them at a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by jake272 View Post
    I'm looking into buying a new bar and plates, what is t he best overall bar for general strength training? I'm also going to look at getting some plates, what are the best plates? I'd prefer if they were iron since the plastic ones can be pretty pricy. Ideas?
    What's your budget? Are you going to be doing the Olympic lifts?

Unlimited budget, no Olympic lifts> Eleiko PL bar + Eleiko or Ivanko plates
    Unlimited budget, some Olympic lifts> Eleiko PL bar + Eleiko OL bar + Eleiko iron and bumper plates
    Fairly substantial, but not unlimited budget, no olympic lifts>Ohio power bar (KG edition) or Texas Power bar + Eleiko or Ivanko steel plates
    Fairly substantial, but not unlimited budget, + olympic lifts> Ohio power bar (KG edition) or Texas Power bar + Rogue Euro or 28mm bar + Eleiko or Ivanko steel plates+ Rogue competition bumpers
    Moderate budget, no olympic lifts>Ohio power bar (KG edition) or Texas Power bar + York legacy iron plates
    Moderate budget, + olympic lifts>Ohio power bar (KG edition) or Texas Power bar + Rogue Euro or 28mm bar +York legacy iron plates+ rogue training bumpers
    Low budget, no olympic lifts> Ohio power bar (KG edition) or Texas Power bar + rogue training bumpers (or used calibrated CAP/York/other iron plates)
    Low budget, + olympic lifts> Rogue B/R bar + rogue training bumpers

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    What's your budget? Are you going to be doing the Olympic lifts?

Unlimited budget, no Olympic lifts> Eleiko PL bar + Eleiko or Ivanko plates
    Unlimited budget, some Olympic lifts> Eleiko PL bar + Eleiko OL bar + Eleiko iron and bumper plates
    Fairly substantial, but not unlimited budget, no olympic lifts>Ohio power bar (KG edition) or Texas Power bar + Eleiko or Ivanko steel plates
    Fairly substantial, but not unlimited budget, + olympic lifts> Ohio power bar (KG edition) or Texas Power bar + Rogue Euro or 28mm bar + Eleiko or Ivanko steel plates+ Rogue competition bumpers
    Moderate budget, no olympic lifts>Ohio power bar (KG edition) or Texas Power bar + York legacy iron plates
    Moderate budget, + olympic lifts>Ohio power bar (KG edition) or Texas Power bar + Rogue Euro or 28mm bar +York legacy iron plates+ rogue training bumpers
    Low budget, no olympic lifts> Ohio power bar (KG edition) or Texas Power bar + rogue training bumpers (or used calibrated CAP/York/other iron plates)
    Low budget, + olympic lifts> Rogue B/R bar + rogue training bumpers
    Budget is like $300-$400 for a bar, plates are probably $2 a pound or so, I'll probably get up to 600 pounds of plates or so once I get the money. I've thought about going in the direction of Olympic lifting and seeing a SS coach to help me out with them, but the closest SS coach is like 12 hours from where I live, so I'll probably do powerlifting, for a while at least.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    What's your budget?

For squat, bench, OHP, deadlift only: Rogue Ohio Power Bar. Bare steel for $250 is a damn good deal IMO.
    For the above lifts plus power cleans: Rogue B&R 2.0
    If $250-300 is too expensive, you can get the CAP OB-86B for $125 sometimes. You might outgrow it and want a better bar, though.

Plates: buy used on craigslist if possible. Like idlehands said, depends what you like. I have Rogue's standard olympic plates and Troy Premium wide flange. The Troys are calibrated within 2% and nicer to handle because of the wide flange, but more pricey. Adamant Barbell has them at a good price.
    Yeah, I bought some iron plates off of amazon a while ago. The brand name is cap barbell, and they've been kinda shitty, I also bought a power rack off amazon for like $400, but it always shakes when I take the bar out of the rack when I squat, I saw troy plates on amazon, but they were damned expensive, I never thought of Craigslist, though. Thanks.

I have both the B&R bar (york version) and the Texas Power Bar. The B&R is by far the better bar, but if you live somewhere humid may rust. The Texas Power Bar has a much more aggressive knurling and a smaller center knurling. It is also a lot "whippier" than the B&R. As far as plate, I really like the USA Sports brand from Troy. They are milled and have drilled center hole rather than a cast one which makes them better than the Cap brand, but at the same price per pound. I bought mine new at Play it Again sports for .89/lb + tax. That being said you can get a used Texas Power Bar (with chromed ends) and used plates from Texas Strength Systems for a pretty decent discount as well as a used 2.5x2.5 power rack (or the bolt together galvanized). Just call Wes and I'm sure he will cut you a good deal,

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Norman View Post
    I have both the B&R bar (york version) and the Texas Power Bar. The B&R is by far the better bar
    I don't agree with that. I find them to be of similar build and construction quality, with the biggest differentiating factor being their knurl. You're crazy if you think the TPB is "whippy".

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast