starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check - 200lb

Default Squat form check - 200lb

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi all,

I'm at the end of my 3rd week of SS, and everything is progressing as expected so far. Thought I'd post a form check to get some feedback on my squat.

I'm 6'3, 195lbs (up from 180 at beginning of SS).

Here is a video of my last work set at 200lb.

It looks like I may be lifting my chest some, especially on the 2nd rep. Also, I had some left hip pain after my last workout that got worse after this one. After reviewing some other threads, I'm going to try narrowing my stance and reducing my toe angle a bit next time.

Any other thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by SC2SC; 09-01-2017 at 08:45 AM.

The pro's tend to like a view from rear 45 angle if possible. It lets you see stance width/ toe angle etc. Maybe that would be a better angle for future videos.

From what I see:

Chin down during the rep. Your neck is overextending at the bottom. Pick a spot on the floor a bit closer to you to keep your eyes focused on. In the book there is a picture of a guy pinching a tennis ball between his chin and neck. It may be a useful visual.

Cut a couple inches of depth. Review what proper depth is to get a picture in your mind. You are going too low here.

Lifting shoes are sweet if you've never used them.

happy lifting

Before changing width and toe angle, try another video with the camera closer to hip height and at an aft 45 degree angle. Gives us a better view of stance and toes. Also, the towel is blocking the view of your hips at depth.

Set eye gaze 3-5' in front of you on the floor. Helps prevent leading with chest.

Depth is an inch too low. Also keep driving with the hips.

Set knees in first third of squat. Not doing this leads to knee slide at bottom which aggravates the hips.

Are you exercising on non lifting days that could add aggravation to hips? No accusation, just trouble shooting.

Overall the bar is moving nicely, stick with it and keep adding weight!

First, put the hooks in the rack one notch lower.

Second, squeeze everything tighter against a hard valsalva from the beginning of each rep until the end.

Third, break at the hips and knees simultaneously and aim your nipples at the floor. Keep them aimed there until you are almost back up. Keep your head down. Cut depth a bit.

Apply these and get a new video at hip height shot from the rear 45 degree angle without the hat.

Thanks for all the comments - very helpful. I'll post an updated video from 45 degree angle on Monday and work on everything mentioned.

Joey: no, I've been strictly lifting 3x/week and resting on off days. After seeing the replies here, I'm thinking the hip pain may be caused by a little too much depth and not setting knees early enough. I'll correct those two things see if that takes care of it.

Thanks again, all.

Here's a video of my last set of 205 lbs x 5 today. Apologies for the angle being a little farther than 45 degrees (and for leaving my hat on).

I focused on keeping my chin down and cutting some depth, and those changes felt good. After the workout, my left hip was bothering me again. It's nothing severe, but the pain starts at the hip and goes down the outside of my leg to my knee. It could just be a tight IT band, but let me know if you see anything obvious that might be contributing. I'll continue to work on setting my knees early in the lift.

Your elbows are much too high. Try to keep them pinned to your sides throughout the lift.

You also may like to widen your heels out about an inch on either side. Control the descent. Stay tight.

1. Put the hooks one notch lower in the rack.

2. Take a slightly wider stance.

3. Fix your grip. As Mattlifts pints out, your elbows are jacked up too high. They should be down near your back. I suspect you are not setting your thoracic spine in extension (read the article on here about that).

4. Apply these and get a new video at hip height shot from the rear 45 degree angle without the hat.

Thanks Jeff and Mattlifts - I'll adjust grip and stance.

starting strength coach development program
    Yep, what they said. Looking better. Keep adding weight. Lifting shoes can help too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast