starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check - reset or keep going?

Default Deadlift form check - reset or keep going?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've been progressing on the deadlift, 5lbs added per week, nicely over the last few weeks. I took a video and see that it's not very pretty coming off the floor at my top set (worse than what I had in my head). Warm ups look better. Should I keep going if I can or reset and only add weight when every rep in a work set looks perfect? Am I endangering myself be continuing to add weight?

Thank you very much for your time!

Deadlift 360#x5x1 - YouTube

Your shoulders are too far ahead of the bar and your back is rounding rather significantly. I would not keep adding weight at the moment. First thing to do is to follow the steps on how to pull from the floor in the sticky. Do them to the letter. Be very pedantic. This means you will not bend your knees when you first grab the bar. It also means your butt will be higher than you want it to be. It also means you will not look up at the ceiling. It also means you will probably need to take about 40 pounds off the bar to hold your back in extension.

Thank you. I saw the back rounding and figured it was wrong. I took a lot of time reading the deadlift section of the book, reading other deadlift posts on the forum, and watched a lot of deadlift videos on IG of a few SS coaches. I think I have a much better understanding of how the muscles are working and I hope I'm applying the principles correctly, with the biggest change/cue for me was pushing heels through the floor rather than "pull" the weight up. Below is an updated video. I know it's not perfect, but am I getting closer?

Deadlift 330# x 3 - YouTube

Watch how you kick the bar forward on almost every rep. That is not desirable. You are also still rounding. This was a 3 RM for you. Show me a set of five where you can hold together. That may be at 275 pounds. Also, film from the front oblique. I want to see your shins against the bar without the weights obscuring them.

Hi Coach, here's a video with a different angle. It's a lighter weight because I had to operate in tighter space and my video with 275 cut off my shins. From a set-up perspective, how does it look?

Deadlift 225x5 - YouTube

It is probably okay, but I cannot really tell much from the video you posted.

Hi Coach, I think this will be a better video. Thank you very much in advance.

Deadlift 275x5 - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Those aren't bad. Rock back off your toes a little. Your shoulders are consistently too far in front of the bar, although not by a lot.