starting strength gym

Thread: Unsure How To Correct a Silly Beginner Mistake

Default Unsure How To Correct a Silly Beginner Mistake

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    6'3 175 25yo
    3400-3700 kcal/day

I made a rather dumb compound mistake between my 2nd and 3rd ss workouts. I had been logging my weights by the pounds on each side of the bar. Without thinking on my 3rd workout I added 10 pounds to each side for squats, jumping 20 lbs, when I meant to increase by the prescribed 10. It felt heavy, but I completed all 3 sets with what I thought was good form.

I realized my mistake after the fact, but considering the completion and low weight, I decided to press on making sure not to make the same mistake again. I completed my 5th w/o today, but had a little bit of left knee wobble during squats.

This mistake also carried over to the bench press and deadlift. The bar on the bench press slowed down quite a bit today, but I was able to complete 3x5. I did not have a problem on the deadlift.

To compound all of this I've realized I have not been taking enough rest time between sets. Previously I was taking 2-2:30 minutes.

My question is should I back down to the previous weight before I made the extra-large weight jump, should I just add in more rest time and continue on?

Thank you for your guidance.

From my log(weight per side, in lbs):

Squats: 35, 40, 50, 55, 57.5

Bench: 42.5, 47.5, 50

Deadlift: 60, 75, 80

Since getting stuck is the absolute worst thing that can happen to progress, I'd back up to the weights you were supposed to use for the last workout and start back up from there. I promise that your form suffered from the heavy jump.

Quote Originally Posted by grundle11 View Post
    6'3 175 25yo
    3400-3700 kcal/day
    I think you should add another 20lbs... of meat... to your diet next week.

That too.

Also to the OP, typically we recored weights as totals (weight on each side + weight of the bar), not as the amount on just one side. It makes things a lot easier due to less need for mental conversions.