starting strength gym

Thread: Lower back pain

Currently Memphis, TN. Originally from WI

Default Lower back pain

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    My son's lower back has been bothering him in off-season football practice. He is 15 years old, 205 lbs, 5'10". The pain occurs from doing twisting motions, ballistic motions like power cleans, fast running and high repetition squats (heavy squats don't bother him).

The location of the pain is about 3 inches to the right of his lumbar spine. When the area is pulpated you can feel a band of tissue (don't feel this on the opposite side). It looks like it may be in thoracolumbar fascia. I can't pinpoint it to a particular muscle. It doesn't hurt all of the time and icing does help it.

Does anyone have advice?

Anytime I hear a lower back problem that is to the right or left of the lumbar region I assume it is SI joint pain. I have dealt with it for a couple years like a lot of people on these forums. One thing that tends to help people, and is pretty simple to do, is to use a lacrosse ball to release the piriformis muscle on the side that is experiencing pain. Other than that just do soft tissue work or get a massage. Of course it could be another issue and if it is really a problem he should see a doc.

What about Psoas tightness? Do you think that could cause these symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by DustinC View Post
    Anytime I hear a lower back problem that is to the right or left of the lumbar region I assume it is SI joint pain. I have dealt with it for a couple years like a lot of people on these forums. One thing that tends to help people, and is pretty simple to do, is to use a lacrosse ball to release the piriformis muscle on the side that is experiencing pain. Other than that just do soft tissue work or get a massage. Of course it could be another issue and if it is really a problem he should see a doc.
    I also think of SI (sacroiliac) joint issues when I hear this description. And also, the piriformis many times is the culprit. Many times the ligaments of the SI joint are stretched to much so I would recommend ceasing any kind of lower back stretches for at least a week or two.

The SI diagnosis was right. Took him to a chiropractor. One of his hamstrings was substantially tighter than the other.

I should have recommended a chiro visit also. I usually go every 3 weeks to a month to keep mine under control.

I posted a long response in here for what I've done.
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=45123

starting strength coach development program
    Wow! Took a quick read at the description of your problem. My son's is no where near that bad. I think we caught it early enough to be able to counteract before it worsened.

Thanks for the feedback.