starting strength gym

Thread: Shaking/spasming uncontrollably during crunch or plank WTF

Default Shaking/spasming uncontrollably during crunch or plank WTF

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    OK so I’ve just been following the program for awhile now, and literally haven’t even attempted a sit up, crunch, or any other “ab” work in years. I squat in the 300s, DL in the 400s, and press close to 200. I assume my core is decently strong.

The other day I did a crunch type movement while getting up off the floor, and within 1 second my “abs” were shaking/spasming uncontrollably. I stayed in a crunch position for awhile and my stomach just spasmed the entire time, regardless of how tired (or not) my “abs” were.

Since then I’ve repeated this multiple times, and notice it also happens when I do a plank. I gave up holding the plank after a minute, but I shook uncontrollably the entire time. If anything the shaking was less at 60 seconds than it was at 6 seconds.

What the hell is going on? Could my “abs” actually be weak? I thought maybe dehydration so I’ve been drinking a ton of water but no change. Thinking it might also be related to some type of vitamin/mineral deficiency, but why does it only happen with “ab” exercises and nothing else? Is this just some freak thing? Do I have ab cancer? Am I gonna die?

I’m happy to be one of the least knowledgeable people in the world when it comes to “abs” but this has me curious ...

No idea here, but it happens to me too. Not in the plank position however, just in the "crunch" position.

Have you tried doing a crunch while holding a 45lbs weight plate? Same result?

Happens to me all the time during planks and eccentric part of crunches or leg raises. Don't think its a bad thing