starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reached my goals. What now?

Default Reached my goals. What now?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi everyone. Last year when I started lifting I made it a priority to increase all my lifts as well as get my deadlift up to 140kg. Did just that yesterday.
    Now what? My left knee's a bit sore, probably pulled something (the leg trembling on last rep was a giveaway). I'm never gonna compete so getting my deadlift up isn't that concerning anymore. Was thinking of prioritizing weighted chin ups since I suck at them. Maybe rows as assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by pavstar619 View Post
    Hi everyone. Last year when I started lifting I made it a priority to increase all my lifts as well as get my deadlift up to 140kg. Did just that yesterday.
    Now what? My left knee's a bit sore, probably pulled something (the leg trembling on last rep was a giveaway). I'm never gonna compete so getting my deadlift up isn't that concerning anymore. Was thinking of prioritizing weighted chin ups since I suck at them. Maybe rows as assistance.
    What were your original goals? A 140 kg deadlift is really short of your potential. You can start, if you haven’t already, training your chin twice a week. I’m assuming you’re still running the novice linear progression.

I will always strive to lift more. Satisfaction is The Death of Desire.

140 for a double? Body weight press?

Age/height/weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Rega View Post
    What were your original goals? A 140 kg deadlift is really short of your potential. You can start, if you haven’t already, training your chin twice a week. I’m assuming you’re still running the novice linear progression.
    Both women and men appreciate a well defined, chiseled jawline.

Original goals were to deadlift triple my bodyweight, but I gained 15kg more weight since LP. I can do sets of 12 on chins atm. Dont know how to program them weighted. I switched to Heavy Light split for a month. Going back to HLM since it feels better.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    I will always strive to lift more. Satisfaction is The Death of Desire.
    The desire never ends if you can never achieve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    140 for a double? Body weight press?
    I did 140kg for triples. I can do 61.5kg Press for triples at 65kg. Havent stalled yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Jenkins View Post
    Age/height/weight?
    Height: 5'3"
    Weight: 65kg

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    Both women and men appreciate a well defined, chiseled jawline.
    And shredded abs.

Original goals were to deadlift triple my bodyweight, but I gained 15kg more weight since LP. I can do sets of 12 on chins atm. Dont know how to program them weighted. I switched to Heavy Light split for a month. Going back to HLM since it feels better.

Height: 5'3"
    Weight: 65kg

And shredded abs.
    From what I've read, the best course of action is to get yourself to 3 sets of 15 unweighted first. Training chins twice a week seems to be optimal. You can do the classic 3 sets of AMRAP that Rip has suggested with the caveat always leaving 1-2 reps in the tank. Once you can do 3x15, you can start adding 1-2.5 lbs for 3x5 on day 2 of the week. You should give Niki Sim's article "Training the Chin, Part 2" a read. I also like this program to increase your chin-up reps (you can start somewhere in the middle of it rather than the beginning).

If you want to get shredded, you're going to have to bulk up a lot more than where you are now, and then cut down. Your current weight isn't bad necessarily for your height, but you need a lot more muscle and cut down to 10% or so bodyfat if you want to look like Mike Matthews.

From what I've read, the best course of action is to get yourself to 3 sets of 15 unweighted first. Training chins twice a week seems to be optimal. You can do the classic 3 sets of AMRAP that Rip has suggested with the caveat always leaving 1-2 reps in the tank. Once you can do 3x15, you can start adding 1-2.5 lbs for 3x5 on day 2 of the week. You should give Niki Sim's article "Training the Chin, Part 2" a read. I also like this program to increase your chin-up reps (you can start somewhere in the middle of it rather than the beginning).

If you want to get shredded, you're going to have to bulk up a lot more than where you are now, and then cut down. Your current weight isn't bad necessarily for your height, but you need a lot more muscle and cut down to 10% or so bodyfat if you want to look like Mike Matthews.
    Thanks. I'll try my best.

I was thinking more of a shredded hulk look. Maybe in my dreams.

starting strength coach development program
    why leave 1-2 reps in the tank?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast