starting strength gym

Thread: Post laparoscopic surgery "lifting" - productive or a waste of time

Unhappy Post laparoscopic surgery "lifting" - productive or a waste of time

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi, thanks for having me.

Unfortunately, I'll be undergoing a laparoscopic varicocele surgery sometime this autumn. I've already asked the doctor and been informed that I shouldn't be engaging in any activities that significantly raise abdominal pressure, actual lifting being given as an example, for at least 4 weeks after the surgery. Supposedly, the main risk is developing hernias in the incision areas or tearing them open. Now, this of course rules out all the 'big lifts', but not lighter dumbbell stuff, perhaps with torso support.

Would you say that getting my ass to the gym a few times a week to do db flys, some extensions and machine leg work could work as a preventive measure lessening the inevitable muscle atrophy? I'd like to get back to my regular training as soon as possible and it seems to me that laying around for four weeks wouldn't help it much. In case it's important, I am 18 yeras old male, 90kg light.

This is out of my realm of expertise, so others may have input. However, four weeks in the context of a training career is nothing. You can obviously do some lifting because you will be picking up bags of groceries and doing performing other tasks that require force production after your surgery. I would still be inclined to be conservative during this time. Let the incision heal. If you could return to training in two weeks vs. four weeks, how important is that? Not very important. You are 18. You have a huge head start on most of us. You can probably lift a little, but don't fuck yourself up in the name of returning to full functioning earlier than everyone else.