starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wrist and shoulder pain when low bar squating

Default wrist and shoulder pain when low bar squating

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Well, for the last 2-3 workouts i started doing low bar squats after a year of high bar squating.
    Is it normal for me to have a wrist and shoulder pain while squating?
    The pain is not terrible, and it seems to me to be some kind of a stretch pain (maybe shoulders and wrist just dont familiar with the low bar position?).
    Should i continue training? will it just improve in time as the flexibility in those areas will improve??
    Thanks.
    omer.

You're holding the bar wrong. This is covered ad nauseum in BBT. Have you read it? I think it is a wonderful book.

Yes, i read it.
    I dont think im holding the bar wrong: elbows are up, wrists are in straight line.
    Thanks though

If you are holding the bar correctly, there is no way for the correct grip to hurt your wrists and elbows. Therefore you are holding it wrong or hurting them somewhere else and just feeling them when you squat.

Maybe a picture would help.

Quote Originally Posted by redivote View Post
    Yes, i read it.
    I dont think im holding the bar wrong: elbows are up, wrists are in straight line.
    Thanks though
    I noticed that for a while, when the weight got heavy I was really, pushing the bar hard into my back with my hands. Even though my grip was fine, it was like I was trying to push the bar straight through my back, every time I'd drive up out of the bottom. So much so that I got sore forearms, elbows and shoulders. Once I noticed, and actively tried not to push so hard with my hands (obviously you want some tension, I just mean an excessive amount of force) the pain went away.

From your brief description, is it possible you're doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If you are holding the bar correctly, there is no way for the correct grip to hurt your wrists and elbows. Therefore you are holding it wrong or hurting them somewhere else and just feeling them when you squat.

Maybe a picture would help.
    All i have is this working set:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExvxGdWeQ8k
    Anyway, that was probably my last squat for the next 3 years, but i would like to hear if you see ( if possible from this poor quality) any problem in the shoulders,bar place,writsts.
    Thanks

I can't see a damn thing wrong with either your grip or your squat in this video. A perfect example of why coaching at a distance doesn't work well. Have you tried widening your grip a little, and have you used ibuprofen for the inflammation?

I can't see a damn thing wrong with either your grip or your squat in this video.

I only ask because I'm struggling to become more discerning in such matters. I see he has nice hip drive, but do his knees slide forward at the bottom?

I can't see a damn thing wrong with either your grip or your squat in this video. A perfect example of why coaching at a distance doesn't work well. Have you tried widening your grip a little, and have you used ibuprofen for the inflammation?
    I did try to work with a wider grip, and it didnt seem to help.
    Maybe vicjg is right? but i didnt really notice if i was pushing the bar hard on me.
    I didnt think about taking some anti-inflammation but i guss i should try.
    Isn't it possible that i just have a non flexible shoulders/wrists ?

starting strength coach development program
    His knees slide forward on the way down, but stop right before the bottom. But it is a subtle thing, and I see your point; he could be sitting back better on the way down. But in my defense I was mainly watching his hands.

And you really didn't think about taking anti-inflammatories for inflammation? This must the first time you've ever hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast