starting strength gym

Thread: 2nd set = better form

Default 2nd set = better form

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    On my squat, my second set is almost always better form than the first. The weight also seems easier to move. Ive noticed this for a while now, but now that the weight is starting to get (relatively) heavier (@245lbs), it might start to cause problems if I strain my back on the first set. What I really notice is that my back is most sore/tight after the first set, and gets progressively better after the next two sets. I didn't feel a thing after finishing dead lifts today.

Is this acute improvement in form due to my laziness in the first set, or would more warm up sets help me fix this (currently I start with the empty bar and move up in increments of about 50: 45, 95, 135, 200, work set of 245)?

Thanks for your help.

I had a similar problem when my lifts started getting heavier. Once I could squat 225+ I warmed up less gradually. Maybe try warming up at 95, 135, 185 then working sets. Once you get to 250+ drop the 95 warmup set and go 135, 185, 225 then working sets. Hopefully that can help. I realized that I lost focus on tightening up my core when the weight was too easy to lift then when the bar got heavier I wasn't focused enough to properly execute.

In your situation, I would try one of the following:

1) wait longer between your last warmup and your first work set,
    or
    2) as your last warmup set, try 1 rep at your work set weight.

Spar's suggestions are sound. I'd listen to her if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    In your situation, I would try one of the following:

1) wait longer between your last warmup and your first work set,
    or
    2) as your last warmup set, try 1 rep at your work set weight.
    Thanks! I like those ideas, especially number 2. I think that will probably help a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by jheald1 View Post
    Thanks! I like those ideas, especially number 2. I think that will probably help a lot.
    They address different possibilities. Chances are high that one of them will work for you. I think trying #1 first is probably a better bet, but I'm not there to see what is actually happening during your training sessions.

When/if you try #2, remember that you may need to increase rest time between that last warmup and your first work set anyway. Play around with it and see.

Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    They address different possibilities. Chances are high that one of them will work for you. I think trying #1 first is probably a better bet, but I'm not there to see what is actually happening during your training sessions.

When/if you try #2, remember that you may need to increase rest time between that last warmup and your first work set anyway. Play around with it and see.
    Good point. I'm probably not resting as long as I need to between warmup and work sets.

Thanks again.

Spar,

FYI: a longer rest between warm up and first work set did the trick. It was actually rather obvious, some feel silly for to thinking of it.

Thanks again.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jheald1 View Post
    Spar,

FYI: a longer rest between warm up and first work set did the trick. It was actually rather obvious, some feel silly for to thinking of it.

Thanks again.
    No problem. How much rest you need is not always obvious. I just recently discovered, much to my chagrin, that I benefit immensely from 8 minutes between heavy sets of bench or press, even though 5 has always "felt" adequate.