starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it too late?

Default Is it too late?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey all, I just joined. Here's the story; I'm 51, 6'2" and 320 lbs. and a Type 2 Diabetic. I have never been an athlete, and never trained seriously. I just don't know where to begin. At my doctor's suggestion, I have a membership at the YMCA, but I find the treadmill boring and the stationary bike just seems stupid. However, I can't explain why, but I have decided I want to be stronger. A LOT stronger. Which of the resources on this site would be a good starting point?

Any advice is appreciated.

What a coincidence, I spoke to a tiler today as I was helping him lift boxes of very large and heavy tiles into the neighbours house while they are away. He is type 2 as well. He appeared to be in his fifties.

He warned me that if he stopped while lifting the tiles, its because of his type 2 and the exertion. He has about 30 minutes of energy during heavy exertion and would have to rest for 10-30 minutes if he passed out/felt faint to be able to get going again, so you may need to keep the sessions short as possible if training heavy.

That's all I've got sorry.

Good luck!

it's never too late.
    Except when you're dead, but then it won't matter anymore.

You search this site by leaving the site and going to google. Try this search string:
    site:startingstrength.com diabetes

I started late too, and have gotten a lot stronger. It's fun to get stronger, even if you will never be as strong as someone who started early.

No it is not too late. You can make significant strength gains at any age. Read the Q&A for a while to get a feel for things. Then go buy Starting Strength 3rd Edition and read it some more and understand it. Start light, get your form dialed in at the outset, and consult with the coaches here with videos of your lifts if you aren't certain. If you need more intensive coaching attend a seminar or camp. Maybe find a Starting Strength coach in your area for ongoing tuneups.

But for God's sake, grab some iron and get to work.

This is edited down. I'm going to defer to Dr. Sullivan's post below advising the Starting Strength program.

But read Rip's "A clarification" PDF about NOT doing Gallon Of Milk A Day if you're obese! Obesity can worsen your Type-2 Diabetes and time is of the essence.

Talk with Jordan over on the Nutrition subforum. He's extremely knowledgeable on nutrition and is in medical school.
    Last edited by Titanium; 08-21-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Check to see if a certified Starting Strength coach is near you. Hire him or her.

Not too late. Get thee to work at once. Buy the book and DVD, and read them and follow them as if you were reading a medical text. Get access to a rack and barbell, as if they were critical medical equipment. Find a starting strength coach, as if they were an allied health professional. Follow the program, as if your life depended on it.

Re-read the above post, and see how it sounds when you leave out the "as ifs." Interesting, neh?

Heck, ebd, I'm 66 with type 2 diabetes which is now completely under control. My strength has increased markedly. Dr. Sullivan is my coach. Go, go, go.

starting strength coach development program
    Hi ebd,

Welcome to the boards. This is a great venture that you're undertaking. Start with the book. It sounds like you've been sedentary for a while now, so you've definitely got a lot of work ahead of you. Fortunately, you can usually progress very quickly when you first start out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast