starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    My pull should be much heavier by now but a few different obstacles have withheld me. One of them being myself.

285x5. I apologize if it's supposed to be landscape rather than portrait. I couldn't find on the website what it's supposed to be.
    YouTube

I see the need to push my knees out more. That is the most I have been able to set my back.

6'4" 220.

Thank you very much.

Hey Mike
    Reference the stickies at the top of the forum for optimal filming guidelines. Higher up and more from a 10 o'clock angle would be best so we can see what's going on with the back.

You take the time to get your shins in place before bending over, then you sit down too low and nudge the bar forward. Once you've got the stance, don't allow your legs to bump it forward when you bring your shins to the bar. Hips will be higher than they are in this video and the shins will have a bit more vertical angle when done correctly.
    Move the grip out a finger-width as well.
    Hold the knees back longer when bringing the bar down so it doesn't have to travel around your knees to get back in right spot on the ground.
    Work on that for a bit and see how it goes.

Thanks Pete. I'll reread those stickies and post another one in a while.

I thought you might say that about my hips. Without getting low I struggle to set my back-I'm sure there was still some rounding going on in this video. I was able to keep the bar pulled tight to my shins by setting my back, which helped a lot.

I'll take what you said and run with it.

Thanks!

No problem.

Yes, it will always be easier to set the back with lower hips. But as my ginger-maned friend Mike Wolf likes to say, "If it's comfortable, you're doing it wrong."

Good luck.

Good to know!

Thanks again.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    as my ginger-maned friend Mike Wolf likes to say, "If it's comfortable, you're doing it wrong."
    That quote is gold.

I'll remember that and use it at the next opportunity.