starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift check.

Default Deadlift check.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    This is 330. I think it looks pretty textbook but I still get back pain the next day and for a few days thereafter. When I use WL shoes (3/4 inch) my back rounds much more but I get less pain the next day. I'm very confused. Any help appreciated. Please disregard the straps as I have a thumb injury and couldn't hook that day.

http://youtu.be/7h1vAu-CKGY

This is 325 with 3/4 inch heels:
    http://youtu.be/CP9MBf4Rcrc

I think that the amount of rounding is probably equivalent, and not terrible, in both cases. You just shot one from an angle that makes it easier to see your back. You have a tendency to put the bar ahead of the midfoot by pushing forward with your shins as you drop your butt too low. This causes you to pull the bar around your knees a little. I like pulling in shoes and recommend that my trainees do the same. Yes, you have a slight deficit off the floor, but there are some other benefits that make up for it. Pulling in Chucks provides approximately the same lift over the midfoot, but provides none of the stability WL shoes do.

I don't like that your deads cause back pain for days afterwards. The only things I can tell you are to fix your setup a little and work hard to hold your back blat off the ground. I don't see anything here that is deeply worrisome from an injury perspective, however. Perhaps someone else will see something I missed. I am becoming senile, after all.

My back has been giving me a lot of trouble recently. Here are my squats at 295 (significant deload due to pain), but again I think my form looks pretty textbook and have been told so. Every week I start to feel better, get stubborn, and try to squat somewhat heavy and it hurts like hell again for a week. The second I unrack the bar I get this almost compressive pain in my spine but I stubbornly finish the sets. Deadlifts don't hurt during, only after. I've tried hanging In traction but haven't had much luck (in fact after I step down from my hanging the pain is unbearable for about 2 seconds before my discs settle back into place). I guess it's time for a chiropractor or a few weeks off.

http://youtu.be/3aTWoM1VorM

You are on your toes a little, but otherwise those squats look very good. You aren't doing anything injurious in the video. Is there a weight you can squat without pain?

Yea I worked up from 185 to about 245 after the injury and it was pretty pain free. 245-295 was very painful but I was too stubborn to stop. 295 hurt too bad and so I'm taking a week off now. Trying to continue decompression and do reverse hypers and back extensions

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I think that the amount of rounding is probably equivalent, and not terrible, in both cases. I don't see anything here that is deeply worrisome from an injury perspective, however.
    Just watched the first deadlift video. Do you usually advise clients reset their deadlift weight when they have this type of rounding (where it's only noticeable to the trained eye). I've been seeing this in my deadlift videos for the past month or 2, but a 5-10% reset would be at least a month's worth of work, and I'm not even sure it would get better after that. I've never had any pain after a workout.

(Sorry if this is a double post. )

Quote Originally Posted by Chickma2 View Post
    Yea I worked up from 185 to about 245 after the injury and it was pretty pain free. 245-295 was very painful but I was too stubborn to stop. 295 hurt too bad and so I'm taking a week off now. Trying to continue decompression and do reverse hypers and back extensions
    Stop doing back extensions. Don't wiggle your spine around. Also, if shit really hurts your back, that is not a good sign. I cannot tell you what is wrong with you from here, but high levels of back pain are not part of the program. It means something is wrong.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyLips View Post
    Just watched the first deadlift video. Do you usually advise clients reset their deadlift weight when they have this type of rounding (where it's only noticeable to the trained eye). I've been seeing this in my deadlift videos for the past month or 2, but a 5-10% reset would be at least a month's worth of work, and I'm not even sure it would get better after that. I've never had any pain after a workout.

(Sorry if this is a double post. )
    He's rounding a little more than I would like during deads. It's not terrible and were I coaching him, I would bet that a little yelling would get him to hold together. So, would I reset a client if they were rounding that much? Probably not, unless cueing them ceased to correct the issue. Assuming the previous weight looked okay, I would hold them at that weight for the next workout to see if we could eliminate the flexion.