starting strength gym

Thread: Programming Help / Squats

Default Programming Help / Squats

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    40 yo male, 6' 0", 181 lbs, retired World Cup level ski racer. Came across SS in November 2014 and my mind was blown. My former coaches/trainers are all getting the book next Christmas

Though I have been in the weight room for years I thought it prudent to start with the Novice program just as any newb would/should. I feel like I was equally prudent in determining my starting weights. I have been doing the Novice program a little over 2 months and following the program to the letter. I am making consistent progress throughout the 5 lifts with the only exception being squats.

I have lifted respectable weights in my career (for an athlete of my type) but I have hit a wall with squats and need some help. Form is solid and I am doing a light day at 70% of 5 RM on my middle day but I can quite literally feel my squats getting weaker with each session. Mental strength is getting me by at this point. I have reset twice but I have hit a barrier around the 190 lb. mark.

My genuine feeling is that I am not effectively recovering from previous squat days and that problem is compounding and as a result I am detraining. I don't want to deviate from the basic program but 3 days of squatting does not seem to be working for me. Do you have any advice or suggestions? Thank you in advance for your time.

What's your bodyweight doing? Are you at 195? Have you LOST weight?! That'll tell you quite a bit about how you're recovering.

I am gaining weight. I was at 173-175 in December and I am 181-185 right now. Weight gain is a challenge for me so though I am not gaining to the level outlined in the book the fact that I am gaining is a positive. Overall I feel recovered and my other lifts are progressing as they should but my squats are suffering and I am not pushing near the amount of weight I feel I should. Perhaps there are superfluous elements like rest/mental fatigue that are affecting things but I am wondering if there any is context with which you would prescribe pulling back on squat frequency?

I can't stress this enough. Gaining another 10 or 15 pounds is going to do good things for you. The first step is to add a light day in the middle of the week like you're already doing, but before you do anything else, if you're serious about this getting strong thing, you need to find ways to add calories. You've got to hit a pound or two per week consistently AT A MINIMUM to keep this thing going.

This has nothing to do with the question, but I just have to say to the OP: well chosen name. Well chosen indeed. An all time classic.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/12203

Thank you Nick, eat more...got it. I will absolutely dedicate myself to doing that. In the meantime what kind of adjustment would you recommend I make to my squatting schedule because I quite literally cannot squat heavy 2 days a week at this point. As embarrassing as that likely sounds it's where I am at. Hopeful you guys have encountered this before and can help. Thanks again for your time. It's sincerely appreciated.

starting strength coach development program
    Burt Reynolds...I mean, Turd: You say you followed the programming to the letter, so do I take it you're lifting three non consecutive days per week, with 3x5 squats on the 1st and 3rd days and a 70% day in the middle for 2 sets of 5?