starting strength gym

Thread: Work out/ app question

Default Work out/ app question

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    New to ss 62 y/o who has lifted before. I w/o at home alone and use the ss app. Today I was supposed to ohp 45# 3×5 I could only ohp 1x45 not 3x. I tried 1x45 waited to recover,lifted 1x45 again,waited lifted 1x45 again to finish set. I had another set of 3 to complete. At that time, I deloaded by 10 percent to 41# to finish my set by lifting 41#x3 with no rest. I was able to finish all my sets. My question is this when I find a weight that I cannot complete my lift with proper form should I deloaded on the app or just change my weight?

Are you describing an empty bar or the bar with 45 pounds of weight on it. Not sure how you can make a bar lighter so you must be talking about the bar + weights. If that is the case you were pressing 90 pounds. Take 30 pounds off and do your fives.

Normally when you see 3x5 that means 3 sets of 5 reps. You need to take weight off so you can do 5 repetitions, and repeat two more times.

Sorry Skid my bar weights 16# . If I cannot lift the weight that the app says do I use the deload the or the change weight set weight

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhunts View Post
    Sorry Skid my bar weights 16# . If I cannot lift the weight that the app says do I use the deload the or the change weight set weight
    Shawnhunts, I can't quite understand your question, but it sounds like you're puzzed that the app is telling you to lift way above your capability? What was your last workset weight, if today was 45 lbs? Was your last successful work set at 42.5 lbs, 40 lbs, or something far less like 35 lbs? Sometimes the app settings are very aggressive with 10lb jumps. Make sure that in your app, under Settings -> Presses -> Progression weight, that it is set to something appropriate like 2.5 lbs and not 10.