starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this shit form or what?

Default Is this shit form or what?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    So everyone said my knees were caving in with squat. So I fixed it. Check my lifts then critic me.

These all my last sets.

Squat: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fm_jtg7-Og

Bench: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jazVpWIGt-I
    My second set was hard. So I took 6 minutes after it and it was better. I do t use a pronated grip cause it seems harder. For press I can do it fine.

Power clean: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T0bS64pUR3w

Deadlift: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L0n0EJZiUeY
    Last edited by Kaplowitz; 11-04-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Looks fine for highbar atg...Are you running SS? If yes, why high bar over low bar?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    Looks fine for highbar atg...Are you running SS? If yes, why high bar over low bar?
    I have only been lifting not even a year. I got my high bar to 295 for 5 and now decided to do SS. I am supposed to hit my old 5RMs in week 6. I have always used high bar so I should stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaplowitz View Post
    I have only been lifting not even a year. I got my high bar to 295 for 5 and now decided to do SS. I am supposed to hit my old 5RMs in week 6. I have always used high bar so I should stick with it.
    Your logic is kind of flawed... SS runs a low bar squat for a reason.. Different muscles engaged etc... I don't see how always using high bar is a reason not to low bar... To each there own I suppose....

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    Your logic is kind of flawed... SS runs a low bar squat for a reason.. Different muscles engaged etc... I don't see how always using high bar is a reason not to low bar... To each there own I suppose....
    It doesn't matter if there is 50 more pounds on the bar or less. You get the same linear progression. Why is everyone hating on me. You lift low bar to lift more weight? Lifting high with less weight is the same. I mean really. I don't agree with Rip. Why does Pendlay teach his athletes high bar? An 800 pound low bar squat doesn't matter in the Olympics because no one is gonna clean or snatch that much. A 500 pound high bar squat is fine. Why does it matter if I add a shit load more weight to the bar and squat low bar?

Why? Rip says you use more muscles. But you use more muscles with a wide grip incline bench press. Then he talks about decreasing ROM for the bench. They did high since the beginning of the squat. They switched to low bar after someone said it was bad for your knees. I mean really low bar is just for higher numbers.

I don't care how anyone squats. Yet everyone bitches about the way I do it. Everyone at the gym who don't even squat parallel and everyone online. FYI Rip said in SS you have the option to squat high bar. He says it.

Now can anyone critic my other lifts?

I don't know if anyone mentioned it but you are high barring and your stance is wide a and the weight is too light to demonstrate form.

really low bar is just for higher numbers.
    Higher numbers = more stress = more adaptation. It's not about ego. (not that I care how you squat)

It doesn't matter if there is 50 more pounds on the bar or less. You get the same linear progression. Why is everyone hating on me. You lift low bar to lift more weight? Lifting high with less weight is the same. I mean really. I don't agree with Rip. Why does Pendlay teach his athletes high bar? An 800 pound low bar squat doesn't matter in the Olympics because no one is gonna clean or snatch that much. A 500 pound high bar squat is fine. Why does it matter if I add a shit load more weight to the bar and squat low bar?

Why? Rip says you use more muscles. But you use more muscles with a wide grip incline bench press. Then he talks about decreasing ROM for the bench. They did high since the beginning of the squat. They switched to low bar after someone said it was bad for your knees. I mean really low bar is just for higher numbers.

I don't care how anyone squats. Yet everyone bitches about the way I do it. Everyone at the gym who don't even squat parallel and everyone online. FYI Rip said in SS you have the option to squat high bar. He says it.

Now can anyone critic my other lifts?
    Your long winded justification for hi bar over low bar has been picked apart by Rip in his book, forum posts/responses to posts, internet videos, articles and podcast. You're not interested in his methods yet you come to his forum asking adherents of his program for a form check and then wonder why everyone is telling you it's wrong. For the life of me, this will never make sense.

I can give you input but since you seem so defensive, I am not sure if it's worth giving you pointers. You may want to approach this forum and asking for form checks with an open mind and a certain amount of humility.

Quote Originally Posted by musmusculus View Post
    Higher numbers = more stress = more adaptation. It's not about ego. (not that I care how you squat)
    Oh really? More adaptation? So let's say a guy can squat 350x5 low bar. Another guy squats high 300x5. Guess what that same guy who squats 300x5 can squat more weight doing low bar. Something like 350x5. By more adaptation you mean people would have to start off with a lot lighter weight if they start off squatting the bar. You mean you will go farther with the low bar squat cause you can lift a lot more. You will still stall out at 350 or 300. Whatever.

Bullshit. I asked how my form was. If I switch to low bar now my squat will go up a shit load. I guess because of more adaption of maybe the shortage of ROM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by zackpassman View Post
    Your long winded justification for hi bar over low bar has been picked apart by Rip in his book, forum posts/responses to posts, internet videos, articles and podcast. You're not interested in his methods yet you come to his forum asking adherents of his program for a form check and then wonder why everyone is telling you it's wrong. For the life of me, this will never make sense.

I can give you input but since you seem so defensive, I am not sure if it's worth giving you pointers. You may want to approach this forum and asking for form checks with an open mind and a certain amount of humility.
    I read the book. I did. I asked how my form was. Was my back and knees fine? No I got: why are you squatting high bar. I didn't even say what program I am on. People are on all kinds of random programs on this forum. I am doing SS to the letter. Rip says you can do high bar in his book? Did you read it?

Everyone's justification is stupid for low bar. I considered doing it but I still see it as just more weight on the bar.
    Last edited by Kaplowitz; 11-04-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast