starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting tomorrow

Default Starting tomorrow

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I start training tomorrow. I'm 37, 205 lbs, 6'4". Flabby, out of shape, and skinny-fat. Been working in an office for the last 20 years. Typical office drone. But on my way in to work I always pass by a gym. No machines, no BS, just the shit that works. Benches, Cages, Barbells. So tomorrow I begin training. I'll figure out my starting weights, take my baseline pics which I'll be posting here weekly to keep me honest, and take the first step.

I will be using the original SS program. The gym I'll be going to offers personal trainers for a nominal fee. I plan on using one for the first workout, maybe the first two just to make sure my form is correct.

My goal is to be able to bench 380 pounds by August 27th, which is my 38th birthday. I do not know if this goal is realistic or not, (and I suspect its not since I am weak for my size) but its what I'm shooting for.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and to use this post to set up some form of accountability. I have a tendency to start things without finishing, its my hope that this forum and this post will help me overcome that issue.

Welcome to the forum! :-)

You should keep a log here too (down in the SS log section). I've found that it helps keep me on task. When I started lifting back in 2011, I sort of did the same thing. In the past I would lift for a few weeks and then quit. Just stick with it, and eventually it becomes habit. I am happy to say that I have been consistently training since then.

Welcome to the forum. There is a subforum here for form checks. It is pretty useful, especially in the beginning.

Welcome, and heed the good advice above. Logs definitely help accountability, especially if you are lifting alone.

I look forward to seeing your progress!

Quote Originally Posted by MarsIs View Post
    My goal is to be able to bench 380 pounds by August 27th, which is my 38th birthday. I do not know if this goal is realistic or not, (and I suspect its not since I am weak for my size) but its what I'm shooting for.
    280 would be great in 5 months.

Quote Originally Posted by MarsIs View Post
    The gym I'll be going to offers personal trainers for a nominal fee. I plan on using one for the first workout, maybe the first two just to make sure my form is correct.
    This is, more than likely, a bad idea, unless they have a working understanding of the methods presented in the book.

Kyle Schuant Guest

Good luck.

Speaking from experience working as a trainer at a YMCA, it's unlikely any of them will have a knowledge of any version of squatting, let alone the low-bar back squat. At my old gym of 15 trainers, 2 of us had some clue, and I taught the other one. Save the cash and use it to buy some steak, or a good camera to film your sets for feedback here.

Wow. Thanks all.
    I will definitely keep a log. Once I come home from work tomorrow I will post the first entry.
    @hollismb - Why is it a bad idea? Even if they aren't familiar with SS (and given that I live in the Philippines I would be shocked if they are) They should be able to help use the right form shouldn't they?
    @Kyle Schuant. - Ok so what are my options then? I have never done squats before, so I dont know how to tell if I'm doing them right. If I can't depend on the people who are "training" me to do them whats the best way to ensure im not wasting my time?

Also how do i upload pics to the forum? I was planning on posting weekly pics here as a way to monitor my progress but I dont know how.

Kyle Schuant Guest

starting strength coach development program
    Read the book, it gives you a pretty good guide. Go onto youtube, search out "Rippetoe squat" and you'll find some where he's teaching people. That'll help.

Of course your best option is a Starting Strength coach or seminar.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast