starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Form check - squat

Default Form check - squat

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Novice program, week 5. I thought I had worked up to 305 lbs x 5, but realized I was not going low enough and backed off to 275 this week. I'm still not sure. Is my depth sufficient and how does my form look overall?

Squats 2017 OCT 25 - YouTube

EDIT: Age 39, 5'11", 265 lbs
    Last edited by rtrauthwein; 10-27-2016 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Add info

EDIT: I take that back. The angle is tough. Bar position looks OK, maybe a little higher than ideal, although you have to work on your hand/arm position. Can you set up your videographizing device a bit farther back next time?

Depth looks OK. A little knee movement. I'd say a prouder chest.

305 is aggressive/good for 5 weeks. What was your starting weight and what increments have you used between workouts?
    Last edited by Satch12879; 10-27-2016 at 03:10 PM.

Bar is high on the back, want to get it lower. This could be causing you to lean to far forward while standing up and being heavy on your toes like you were at the beginning of the video. You're going deep enough on depth from what I can see. I would def invest in getting some better shoes to squat in, you'll feel so much better for it!

Started at 225 and increased by 10 lbs per workout.

I can move the video back a little bit. Is the angle good?

What changes would you recommend for hand / arm position?

Both of you said high bar, so guess I need to work on that.

Any recommendations for shoes?

All of this. Also, b/c the bar is too high, you are leading with your chest out of the bottom. When you have the bar in the proper position for a low bar squat, you will need to lean over a little more at the beginning of the descent, and then drive your hips straight up out of the bottom. As for shoes, do a search on this site and you will find several recent threads discussing currently available shoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Anderson View Post
    Bar is high on the back, want to get it lower. This could be causing you to lean to far forward while standing up and being heavy on your toes like you were at the beginning of the video. You're going deep enough on depth from what I can see. I would def invest in getting some better shoes to squat in, you'll feel so much better for it!

I have the Nike Romaleos 2, and I love them!

I worked on bar, arm, and hand positioning, as well getting my chest up today. 280 x 4. I didn't feel like I could get 5, but it may have just been because I felt a little awkward due to the set up adjustments.

Squats 2017 OCT 28 - YouTube

You definitely had 5 in you based on bar speed. I think the bar is still a little high, and I think that causes your weight to get on your toes when you lean over. Do you feel the weight shift forward? We can see your heels come up a little.

starting strength coach development program
    Agree with Dave, the high bar placement is contributing to that forward lean you still have going on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast