starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A question for the ladies

Default A question for the ladies

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Mrs. ud2o is squatting, and that's good. What's not good is that she asked me if we could get a pad for the bar. I told her we could if we were lame. Her: "That's lame? Maybe for guys."

Thoughts?

Look Brofessor, you know I respect and appreciate the wisdom you share, but this thread is for the ladies, OK?

Almost forgot. Good idea, thank you.

You're right, all apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    *triggered*

I'll channel my X chromosome and say that you could buy one (or use a towel) with the idea that her upper back will get stronger and mass will appear that can help cushion the load. However, be clear that the intent is to move away from the pad/towel, since it is a bit safer (the bar is more secure) without the pad/towel.
    You can also point out that doing the lift properly will eventually require direct contact with the bar, as upper back tightness is essential to safely performing the lift, and the pad can make that hard to learn. Beginners tend to be very concerned about safety and correct form.

But squatting at all is better than no squatting, so the training wheels approach is probably good.

Do you know why she thinks she needs one? Does it hurt now or is she anticipating what it will feel like when it's heavier? How long has she squatted and what weight is she doing now?

I've never used a pad on the bar and none of my many female clients do either. The bar can feel very awkward on your back if you've never felt that before, and if she's really skinny, it might be a tad uncomfortable. But again, everyone I know has adjusted, especially since the weight on the bar only increases incrementally, allowing time for it to "feel better".

Quote Originally Posted by Skander View Post
    But squatting at all is better than no squatting, so the training wheels approach is probably good.
    Training wheels? No. It is lame. I have never used one. The pregnant lady that squats in our gym has never used one. I agree with Leah. She will adjust.

I had a similar conversation with my wife a while back. She used a towel for a while, griped to a lifting girlfriend that I had teased her about (the friend thought it was all hilarious), and eventually stopped using the towel.

You ladies are tough.

One thing though, the towel (as opposed to the pad) could be used as a bait-and-switch that is free.

Udz, make sure you do lots of mansplaining.
    Ladies LOVE it when we mansplain.

...yes they do.

No, you really do. Actually...

starting strength coach development program
    The mental discipline of ignoring the discomfort of a heavy weight is an important part of learning to lift and training for strength. Mrs udz, you are tough enough if you believe you are. Don't use the ovaries as an excuse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast