starting strength gym

Thread: Something that doesn't make sense in your book...

Default Something that doesn't make sense in your book...

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I just got a hold of "Practical Programming" and there were two statements that seem to contradict each other... Please forgive my ignorance about the subject... Here they are (these are not actual paraphrases! They're just what I remember):

1. It could take a month (or two) before an advanced lifter can go through the 2 stages of the General Adaptation Syndrome (GAS). (shock phase and adaptation phase)

...Which makes perfect sense because an advanced trainee needs more workload to disrupt homeostasis... and then all of a sudden, this statement just popped out of nowhere!

2. Since a novice trainee can only train with small loads, these small loads will only induce very little stress... which in a novice's case, small stresses can lead to significant biological responses... An advanced lifter can train with much bigger loads and can therefore impose much bigger demands on his/her body.

...Okay, if advanced lifters can impose much bigger demands on their bodies, then how came it takes them a month (or two) before they can go through the 2 stages of the General Adaptation Syndrome (GAS)?

Isn't it that BIGGER STRESS IMPOSED = MASSIVE DISRUPTION IN HOMEOSTASIS = MUCH SEVERE INCAPACITIES IN STAGE ONE OF SELYE'S THEORY ??????

Do advanced lifters have such a super high tolerance on the demands of training that it would take them a shitload more workload just to be able to have a quick run with the GAS?

...Or it may be possible that BIGGER STRESS IMPOSED = MASSIVE DISRUPTION IN HOMEOSTASIS = MUCH SEVERE INCAPACITIES IN STAGE ONE OF SELYE'S THEORY = SLOWER PROGRESS OF THE THREE PHASES OF THE GENERAL ADAPTATION SYNDROME...

Dammit... I think I just answered my own question... Thanks anyway sir!

Advanced lifters are in a situation that less-adapted trainees will never experience. They are 1.) able to generate huge workloads, 2.) these workloads are capable of disrupting homeostasis, but 3.) it may take several accumulated workouts to constitute an overload event since 4.) the capacity for recovery of an advanced lifter is adapted as well. Your statement "MUCH SEVERE INCAPACITIES IN STAGE ONE OF SELYE'S THEORY" I don't really understand.

Troll alert.

You think? You guys are more sensitive to such things than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    Troll alert.
    No, this is trolling:

Rip I bought SS: BBT a year ago, and I've since aspired to have biceps as massive as yours as pictured on page 220 [I'm completely guessing the page number from memory. If that's correct, I guess that's pretty sad]. I've been doing nothing but biceps curls for 3hrs/day M-F with 40 sets of concentration curls each day of the weekend. However, my squat numbers have gone down!?!? Why is this!!???

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You think? You guys are more sensitive to such things than I am.
    I base my conclusion not on this one post alone, but on his posting history, which includes on the Olympic forum a thread entitled "Squats: Are they really that special?" in which he begins by saying, "Don't you think squats are a little overrated. Let's examine the facts"

Powerandvelocity, judging by his other posts, is either one of two things: a troll, or autistic.

starting strength coach development program
    The kid's a troll. He must have come here after he was run off the Olympic Lifting training log thread on T-Nation. He is best ignored.